Solus Pro with a 2003 Dodge Ram (Cummins)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PLohr
    • Jun 2018

Solus Pro with a 2003 Dodge Ram (Cummins)

Hello,

Working with a Solus Pro, bundle 10.2, software revision 2.6.0, build 6525. The OBD2 connector's part number is MT2500-46B.

I am having trouble getting this scanner to connect to a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 (Cummins diesel) 2WD M/T. I haven't been able to connect to the engine or transmission computer. I have been able to connect to the ABS, Airbag and Body computers.

The Solus Pro said to use the K25 personality key. I did that. It said to turn the key off then start the engine. I did that. I turned the key off and on several times. Still, it could not connect to the engine computer.

The process for the transmission computer was the same. It never did connect. I would be satisfied with only connecting to the engine computer.

Looking at the personality key chart, I also tried keys K20 and K25 since those cover some Chrysler vehicles. Neither of those made it connect to the engine or transmission computer.

I connected the scanner to a 2008 GMC Yukon XL to check if it would connect to another vehicle's engine and transmission computer. It sure did, no problem.

Here are some annotated photos as I tried to get the scanner to communicate.

I am fresh out of ideas. Thank you for any help.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

The possibilities are, in descending order:
    Bad Key
    Bad Connector
    Bad Cable
    Bad scanner software/hardware.

The only way to diagnose it in the field would be to try other keys/cables/connectors.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• PLohr
      • Jun 2018

Hi, Joe. Thank you for your quick response. A new K-25 personality key is on the way. That's Step One.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

What corner of Knoxville are you in? I will be working out that way the week of Aug 8th. We might be able to cross paths. I could bring a spare cable and connector with me if the key doesn't fix it. That way you could test it without having to buy it.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• PLohr
          • Jun 2018

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate that.

I am located in South Knoxville. I will send you a private message with my address and phone number.

Comment

• PLohr
            • Jun 2018

It turned out that a cable with one broken connection in one of the wires prevented communication. I was able to find this with a DVM. Purchased a new cable and communication with this vehicle is fine. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Working...