NEW VERUS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wagzilla
    • Oct 2014

Does zeus have a find feature, like a phone or ipad does?

James

Comment

• str53
      • Dec 2009

Zeus

You have to have an adaptor DA-6 to interface with OBD-1 connectors, My Rep is going to have to pony up for that, should've come with it

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Hoping to get a look at one soon.

Internet dependance is going to be a HUGE issue with the new software. Especially for mobile techs...

How do you look stuff up when your on a test drive?

What if you have to go to a customer's house to look at a car?

My internet doesn't reach very far outside the house.

Don't get me started on the internet speed at work or should I say lack there of...

Comment

• sbebenelli
          • May 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid

Internet dependance is going to be a HUGE issue with the new software. Especially for mobile techs...

Don't get me started on the internet speed at work or should I say lack there of...
          If you are a mobile tech then I would have to believe having cellular hotspot would be a requirement. Isn't all your repair information online already?

This tool still acts like a VERUS when you are not connected to the internet. What would you need to be connected to the internet on a test drive for?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by sbebenelli
            If you are a mobile tech then I would have to believe having cellular hotspot would be a requirement. Isn't all your repair information online already?
            Not necessarily. It is possible to have alot of that info stored offline.

I am Not a Mobile tech per say But I do go to say a friend's house or they may come over to my house. The internet does not reach out into the street.

Many Shops do not have WIFI either. You have a central computer or station you go to for looking stuff up.

Comment

• sbebenelli
              • May 2007

Many Shops do not have WIFI either. You have a central computer or station you go to for looking stuff up.
              We are a family owned independent shop. We have wifi and could not imagine not having it. I've never worked anywhere else so I just assumed wifi was the norm.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

I just assumed wifi was the norm.
                For the modern shop, this is true. The internet based information is for Suretrack, and the TSB feature related to codes. Both of which have historically been net based already. Codes, Live Data, Troubleshooter, Guided Component Test are still resident on the tool. One advantage to this "cloud" based information = errors are fixed behind the scenes, and often faster than if on the tool, requiring an "update" or "patch".
                S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

trouble shooter and guided diagnostics

So the resident trouble shooter and guided diagnostics is still comprehensive and complete and not reliant on internet to view the image of connectors or remaining pinpoint tests? Kinda like starting to read a news article on Blahoo and having to click on a link to read more, that brings you to another web site that barrages you with multimedia ads, and slows your ability to sift through images rapidly.
                  :

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

trouble shooter and guided diagnostics

So the resident trouble shooter and guided diagnostics is still comprehensive and complete and not reliant on internet to view the image of connectors or remaining pinpoint tests?
                    :

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

you DON'T - unless you have a non - internet source. One reason I put a large harddrive in my Verus. I'm in the process of upgrading my original Verus to a 1tb ssd hard drive, and wish I could have afforded a 2tb one.

pray they have really good wifi or you're screwed.

Yep - and it don't take much to interfere with it, does it?

Alright, I won't. I'll just mention you're up against the weakest link in your network at all times, and that's in addition to anything that can go wrong with your internet provider.
                      You pretty much summed it up. Too many things can happen to one's internet that no one thinks about - until it happens to them. And it is not a matter of "if" but WHEN and HOW OFTEN. it WILL happen.
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

If you are a mobile tech then I would have to believe having cellular hotspot would be a requirement.

Unfortunately, when Dvd service for both service info and reflashes went by the wayside it left this as the only option -increasing the cost of doing business and also making car ownership less affordable due to necessarily higher repair costs.
                        Also pity the poor mobile guy if his internet takes a dump - he's out of business.

Isn't all your repair information online already?

You've heard the old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket.

This tool still acts like a VERUS when you are not connected to the internet.

And thank goodness for that !! A good tool, but still needs a LOT of work, mostly software.

What would you need to be connected to the internet on a test drive for?

Bullseye !!! This question speaks volumes and nails the problem to the wall !
                        If I understand correctly, some OE tools require CONSTANT internet connectivity making your diagnostic testing basically shop bound instead of
                        getting out in the real world where problems actually happen. Aftermarket tools really shine here allowing you to chase the problem in a real world scenario. If aftermarket tools try to go the way of OE tools in the internet dependency or software timeout ways, they'll be throwing away their biggest advantages and reasons for being needed. Where the aftermarket tools most need to imitate the OE is in COVERAGE and diagnostic features.
                        If Snap On wants their tool to be so internet dependent, then might I suggest they AT LEAST build future incarnations of Verus or Zeus with the "hotspot" hardware built INTO the tool as part of it? In ADDITION to the current wifi, of course.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                          So the resident trouble shooter and guided diagnostics is still comprehensive and complete and not reliant on internet to view the image of connectors or remaining pinpoint tests?
                          :
                          Last I knew they still were. Snap On would be giving up one of their chief advantages and incentives to buy their tools over their competition by moving these to the internet only. I think Troubleshooter used to be better - more been there done that type real world fixes and how to test for them - more thinking outside the box type info than they come up with now. I do appreciate what they DO put in as it still helps a lot.

They used to give you companion books and later cds and dvds to the troubleshooter as part of the deal.Then they did a bad move and moved these to the internet only (and it required a current software subscription to access this, which basically cut your troubleshooter in half.) The Verus and Verdict alone had this info on the tool as it should have been. I don't know if that is still the case. This second half of troubleshooter should be made available to all Snap On
                          scan tool owners without having to go to the internet to get it.

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Not necessarily. It is possible to have alot of that info stored offline.

I am Not a Mobile tech per say But I do go to say a friend's house or they may come over to my house. The internet does not reach out into the street.

There seem to be a lot of companies that think the internet is readily available everywhere 24/7/365.
                            I hope REALITY checks in real soon-!!
                            Heck, just last night a rainstorm kicked out our internet about 6 times in three hours. It didn't last for long but it drops out whenever there are atmospheric conditions. There have been times it cuts out once and it's gone for 6 or 8 hours.
                            THE INTERNET IS NOT RELIABLE-!!
                            Airports, banks, credit cards,....all of them screw up several times a year, and they should have better internet reliability redundancy built-in.....
                            It's not IF the internet screws up, it's WHEN it WILL screw up.

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by crusty
                              there seem to be a lot of companies that think the internet is readily available everywhere 24/7/365.
                              I hope reality checks in real soon-!!
                              Heck, just last night a rainstorm kicked out our internet about 6 times in three hours. It didn't last for long but it drops out whenever there are atmospheric conditions. There have been times it cuts out once and it's gone for 6 or 8 hours.
                              The internet is not reliable-!!
                              Airports, banks, credit cards,....all of them screw up several times a year, and they should have better internet reliability redundancy built-in.....
                              It's not if the internet screws up, it's when it will screw up.
                              pre-cisely !!!

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
                                You pretty much summed it up. Too many things can happen to one's internet that no one thinks about - until it happens to them. And it is not a matter of "if" but WHEN and HOW OFTEN. it WILL happen.
                                So first we are supposed to keep these units off the internet as much as possible to prevent viruses. Now they want us to be on the net so they can control the content???

If they used uptodate electronics, it would not be an issue what was stored on it...

Comment

Working...