Why doesn't Snap On sell last update of a discontinued tool longer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Why doesn't Snap On sell last update of a discontinued tool longer?

I was wondering why Snap on doesn't sell the old Final Legacy updates of all the discontinued platforms for at least 5 years after the last update. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest car coverage and scan tool. Do these updates often have time sensitive licensing periods with the OE manufactures for sale for only a 6 month periods , where it is not legal to sell the version # after that certain date? What is the reason last updates aren't offered for sale longer than 6 months ?
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Wit

If they did that what would you have left to complain about????

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Probably be B@tching that Snappy continues to ask full price for ancient updates to Re-animate Old Sh@t.:
      Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
        Wit

If they did that what would you have left to complain about????
        Actually I do think he has a point and Snap On might be surprised how many of these updates they might sell.
        Even if they sold them at half price they could make a killing.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Wheel
          Actually I do think he has a point and Snap On might be surprised how many of these updates they might sell.
          Even if they sold them at half price they could make a killing.
          Actually I would wholeheartedly agree here, I " currently " have, MT2500, MTG2500, 2 Ethos, 3 Solus, 1 ( functional ) Solus Pro, & 1 Modis.
          I would love to update all these to the last possible specification of update to each one, and definitely be pleased if it was achievable too.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Actually I would wholeheartedly agree here, I " currently " have, MT2500, MTG2500, 2 Ethos, 3 Solus, 1 ( functional ) Solus Pro, & 1 Modis.
            I would love to update all these to the last possible specification of update to each one, and definitely be pleased if it was achievable too.
            I think they would only sell a ton of the final updates , only if they were priced right, For example if 9.2 for the MT2500 black cartridge including Euro was priced at $400 15.2 for the Solus with Euro priced at $600 17.2 for Solus Pro with Euro $800. Lots of budget challenged techs have older Snap On scanners to cover their butts for OBD1 and older OBD2 cars and probably already eying a new $1500 Chinaman Platform with European because they weren't ready to update to the last update within a 6 month window at the time of release and wouldn't be coerced into buying the last update at time of final release These guys just aren't going to drop 5-10K on a new scanner anymore, but would still toss a few bucks at Snap On to get the Final Legacy updates on some of the old platforms.
            If someone from Snap On were to answer why they don't sell the final updates longer , my guess is they would say it is because Legal stipulations about all the dots and T's with the contracts with OE licensing and expiration dates and renewals and other Lawyer stuff to baffle you with Bull instead of just coming out and Saying F@ck all you bottom feeders. If you can't afford to update your old stuff when the last update is offered for them you'll be SOL and have to buy a new scanner when you need the later car coverage.

Comment

• Tech_A
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
              I think they would only sell a ton of the final updates , only if they were priced right, For example if 9.2 for the MT2500 black cartridge including Euro was priced at $400 15.2 for the Solus with Euro priced at $600 17.2 for Solus Pro with Euro $800. Lots of budget challenged techs have older Snap On scanners to cover their butts for OBD1 and older OBD2 cars and probably already eying a new $1500 Chinaman Platform with European because they weren't ready to update to the last update within a 6 month window at the time of release and wouldn't be coerced into buying the last update at time of final release These guys just aren't going to drop 5-10K on a new scanner anymore, but would still toss a few bucks at Snap On to get the Final Legacy updates on some of the old platforms.
              If someone from Snap On were to answer why they don't sell the final updates longer , my guess is they would say it is because Legal stipulations about all the dots and T's with the contracts with OE licensing and expiration dates and renewals and other Lawyer stuff to baffle you with Bull instead of just coming out and Saying F@ck all you bottom feeders. If you can't afford to update your old stuff when the last update is offered for them you'll be SOL and have to buy a new scanner when you need the later car coverage.
              My assumption is the overhead cost to support legacy models is not worth sacrificing, where as the cost could be re allocated for current and future development.

I used an mt2500 with a 7.2 cartridge until 2010 and traded in for a solus pro (4 months later solus ultra came out); As time goes on and tech evolves you will need a tool that supports a higher comm baud/bit rate and scope that can capture signals in the micro seconds.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

My assumption is the overhead cost to support legacy models is not worth sacrificing, where as the cost could be re allocated for current and future development.
                All master versions of the final updates are probably still on computer
                The development costs paid for years ago. There still wouldn't be hardware support, so if someone has his Gramp's mint first edition MT2500 that never really saw much shop action and is so old the PROM chips have to be changed out to get it past OBD1 and to source a programmable black cartridge some place , that's not Snappy's problem.
                It's just an idea that if the old software was made available way cheaper than originally sold to update the software on the discontinued platforms to final levels the tool truck drivers could see several hundred dollars a pop selling the last updates for some discontinued platforms rather than getting nothing and many of these Budget challenged folk working on older cars with second hand Snap On hand Scanners s are just going Chinese when the real need for newer car coverage finally hits home
                Last edited by Witsend; 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Heads up for those who already do have a Chinese Hole Filler . If you have a non functioning Port Freight 08 where you lost card, corrupted, or whatever ,whether your update period is long past and you still have the Port Freight 08 software suite on your PC , you can try installing a new SD card in your Port Freight 08 which will error, then turn it off and install that SD card in your PC and open your software suite and it will reinstall all the software of the Port Freight 08 to the final levels it came with for (free ) until December 31st when it is removed forever. If your Port Freight 08 works fine though I would pass on trying to update it to the final level because I suspect the older functionality might have been dumbed down somewhat, and suspect Ford wants Autel to actually do it, LOL. Still if you have one that doesn't work , it's worth a try checking into. If you get a non functioning one to work again you got some 2015 and 2016 coverage for some makes of cars and sell it to the new apprentice for $400 that can't buy the final update for his 8.2 Solus Pro at any price .
                  Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• khouji
                    • Nov 2017

Snap doesn't sell because of the charges and expenses.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Snap doesn't sell because of the charges and expenses.
                      The research and development costs were incurred years ago, the CF cards cost about 15 bucks each, The new labeling maybe cost more than the CF cards. Maybe about 2hours time to pay an employee to email the dealer network a memo with the download links to the old software versions and cost sheets. Now if they gave a heads up to all the OE manufacturers and had to fill out permission slips for their lawyers mommies sign off to re license everything with 50 car makers , then we would be talking about making a Mole Hill into a Mountain with expenses

Comment

• Tech_A
                        • Jul 2014

All master versions of the final updates are probably still on computer
                        The development costs paid for years ago. There still wouldn't be hardware support, so if someone has his Gramp's mint first edition MT2500 that never really saw much shop action and is so old the PROM chips have to be changed out to get it past OBD1 and to source a programmable black cartridge some place , that's not Snappy's problem.
                        It's just an idea that if the old software was made available way cheaper than originally sold to update the software on the discontinued platforms to final levels the tool truck drivers could see several hundred dollars a pop selling the last updates for some discontinued platforms rather than getting nothing and many of these Budget challenged folk working on older cars with second hand Snap On hand Scanners s are just going Chinese when the real need for newer car coverage finally hits home
                        I agree with most of that, but there would also need to be a marketing campaign to sell them to the franchisees. I would assume they would rather sell 6 DTI's then try to find 100 legacy units on their route/district. It would be cool if they sold them like old new stock via the website, but the logistics cost might drive those builds up and the consumer would resource a third party, ebay, craigslist etc..

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

I agree with most of that, but there would also need to be a marketing campaign to sell them to the franchisees. I would assume they would rather sell 6 DTI's then try to find 100 legacy units on their route/district. It would be cool if they sold them like old new stock via the website, but the logistics cost might drive those builds up and the consumer would resource a third party, ebay, craigslist etc..
                          Yesterday 10:24 PM
                          There would be no marketing campaign, just emails sent out to the tool guys that the final updates are available for the old discontinued platforms starting with potential trade ins in good condition that now could be updated to make it way more attractive to take a nice Solus with 8.2 in on trade if it could be updated to 15.2 or a Solus Pro with 10.2 if it could be updated to 17.2. Guys on a budget looking at a Solus Edge sticker shocked out of their price range complaining they are going to have to buy a Chinese model, Tool man could then tell a guy with the old 8.2 Solus, that he could install final 15.2 legacy update onto it for $500 to get him by for another few years with most of what he'll see and if he saves more money by then the Solus Edge will be Fire Priced when The new Athena starts replacing The Solus Edge.

Comment

• Tech_A
                            • Jul 2014

There would be no marketing campaign, just emails sent out to the tool guys that the final updates are available for the old discontinued platforms starting with potential trade ins in good condition that now could be updated to make it way more attractive to take a nice Solus with 8.2 in on trade if it could be updated to 15.2 or a Solus Pro with 10.2 if it could be updated to 17.2. Guys on a budget looking at a Solus Edge sticker shocked out of their price range complaining they are going to have to buy a Chinese model, Tool man could then tell a guy with the old 8.2 Solus, that he could install final 15.2 legacy update onto it for $500 to get him by for another few years with most of what he'll see and if he saves more money by then the Solus Edge will be Fire Priced when The new Athena starts replacing The Solus Edge.
                            Sounds like a plan, you should drop it in the digital comment box (
                            https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/...ct/ContactForm ), or run it by your appointed franchisee or diagnostics service dealer.

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Kahlil, do you have any idea what you have just done?!?!?!?! Now Wit is going to go home, put on his foil hat, knock back 3-5 6packs and fire off emails and messages to any and everyone!!! You have opened the flood gates that cannot be closed!!!!!
                              S.O. may have to shut all severs and email accounts down. I fear the end is near!!!
                              Last edited by Steve6911; 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...