Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by USpMD
    This was more a poke at snap-on, if there customers are looking for answers with another company, they should take notice, I bought the verus as my general tool, however it like all others has its limitations, I would like to beleave snap-on is trying to bridge the gap between aftermarket and factory scan tools, but I am also aware after serving the factory for 20 years that they have a lot to say about just what gets released, which is why I have doughts that GM MDI and Bosch will run each others software any time in the near future, my point is.. how good is the Bosch as compared to say 11.4 software, My passthru pro works flawlessly for Toyota, not just as for programing but also for techstream, the MDI is also a J2534 device, however I havent tried it on Toyota, I have access to just about all scanners out there except the Bosch VCI thru my position at a well equiped college, with out question the verus is the tool I reach for when I dont have the factory tool to diagnose vehicle concerns, but like others I am always looking for more coverage
    The VCI works with tech stream but I am not sure if the MDI will because it uses differnet firmware and drivers for the GM software. The GM compatiblity stuff is in the works. after all it is the same exact tool. They just want to make sure they have full controll over it so they can charge you for it. Gm has to get there cut if there going to allow another tool to work with there software even though its for all intensive purposes the same tool.

As far as the coverage, some things are as good as the snap on and in a few cases they have some more info then snap on does. However there still using a primative interface from the original MTS3100... Some times it can be more trouble then its worth... I have heard there working on a newer more modern interface. Will see how long and if that even becomes availible in the future...

Comment

• USpMD
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
      The VCI works with tech stream but I am not sure if the MDI will because it uses differnet firmware and drivers for the GM software. The GM compatiblity stuff is in the works. after all it is the same exact tool. They just want to make sure they have full controll over it so they can charge you for it. Gm has to get there cut if there going to allow another tool to work with there software even though its for all intensive purposes the same tool.

As far as the coverage, some things are as good as the snap on and in a few cases they have some more info then snap on does. However there still using a primative interface from the original MTS3100... Some times it can be more trouble then its worth... I have heard there working on a newer more modern interface. Will see how long and if that even becomes availible in the future...
      Thanks for the update, I would love to try this tool out, like I said its not available to me and looks like they have good coverage, thanks for the info!!
      "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• eddiesverus
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by eddiesverus
        Well Bosch say's I can't use my VCI for the GDS2 and WinTech2 only the GM MDI works. Bosch also didn't want to allow me to update and change the firmware to make the VCI work, they want me to purchase a new MDI. That realy sucks on Bosch's part. Now that I'm working at the GM dealer I really need this MDI usage. Has anyone figured out a way to change the firmware on the VCI to the MDI?
        I got fed up with Bosch and bought a new MDI through my dealer at a real good price, about $900, Bosch just Kept Giving me the runaround with my VCI and they wanted to sell me the MDI for about $1700. Anyways I found that the MDI manager is conflicting with the Bosch VCI manager and it wont allow me to have both programs installed on my Verus. So I uninstalled the Bosch Software and loaded the MDI manager. Now I'm using the GM GDS2 and WinTech2 with the MDI and the Verus all together. Works great. My Bosch VCI is now loaded on a Desktop PC and I use only when I have to. The Verus is doing a very good job in running GDS2 and WinTech2 and I'm happy with it. Fords are still a issue with the Verus but I get by with it. I also found out that the GM MDI had the same software that the Bosch VCI has emulating the MTS3100 for Domestics and Asian Vehicles available for about $1700 making the GM MDI a Better choice over the Bosch VCI. Wow I really got screwed by Bosch Ouch.. So I guess the MDI is a better Buy than the Bosch after all. but you still need to have GM full subscription to TIS to WEB or work at a GM dealer .
        Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

I got fed up with Bosch and bought a new MDI through my dealer at a real good price, about $900, Bosch just Kept Giving me the runaround with my VCI and they wanted to sell me the MDI for about $1700. Anyways I found that the MDI manager is conflicting with the Bosch VCI manager and it wont allow me to have both programs installed on my Verus. So I uninstalled the Bosch Software and loaded the MDI manager. Now I'm using the GM GDS2 and WinTech2 with the MDI and the Verus all together. Works great. My Bosch VCI is now loaded on a Desktop PC and I use only when I have to. The Verus is doing a very good job in running GDS2 and WinTech2 and I'm happy with it. Fords are still a issue with the Verus but I get by with it. I also found out that the GM MDI had the same software that the Bosch VCI has emulating the MTS3100 for Domestics and Asian Vehicles available for about $1700 making the GM MDI a Better choice over the Bosch VCI. Wow I really got screwed by Bosch Ouch.. So I guess the MDI is a better Buy than the Bosch after all. but you still need to have GM full subscription to TIS to WEB or work at a GM dealer .
          Good to know... Do you know if the GDS2 will time out if your subscribtion is not active???

Comment

• Orevin
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            Good to know... Do you know if the GDS2 will time out if your subscribtion is not active???
            http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...2-rollout.html

As with GDS currently, a security feature will require users to launch the GDS 2 application from the TIS2Web home screen at least once every seven days.
            -Kai-
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

well that sucks... Be nice to get 30 days or something out of it for guys in independant shops who might not see that many cars.

Thanks for the link!

Comment

• Diagnostic Guru
                • Apr 2011

Where did you get WinTech2? How did you load it on your Verus? You need to partition your hard drive on your laptop to make GDS2 and Shop Foreman Pro work together. Let me know about the WinTech2 on the Verus. Thanks

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                  • Apr 2011

***** Announcement *****
                  15-Nov-2011 Attention: Blue GM MDI required for Tech 2 Win

So according to ACDelcotds site, u can now ONLY use the Blue GM MDI? According to a member in this thread, I can get the Blue GM MDI from a GM dealer? If yes, after I buy the 3 day pass for the Tech 2 Win emulator, will I be able to use my pc as a Tech 2? Or do I have to buy the 1 year subscription as well? If yes, which one?

Complete GM Service Support Package
                  Includes: GM SI, Tis2Web - All Access, GDS 2, and Tech2Win
                  1 Year $3100

Tech 2 and Service Programming Package
                  Includes: Tech 2 diagnostic software updates, Tech 2 View, Tech 2 Snap Shot, Service Programming Software, and Tech2Win
                  1 Year $1395

Service Programming Only
                  Includes: Vehicle calibration software
                  2 Days $55
                  3 Months $275
                  1 Year $995

Tech 2 Diagnostics
                  Includes: Tech 2 Diagnostic software updates
                  1 Year $750

Help? Thanks in advance!!! Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Diagnostic Guru
                    Where did you get WinTech2? How did you load it on your Verus? You need to partition your hard drive on your laptop to make GDS2 and Shop Foreman Pro work together. Let me know about the WinTech2 on the Verus. Thanks
                    I'm a currently a GM Technician so I get access to GM Dealerworld and Full access to TIS to Web. But Before I Came to GM I had and was a AC Delco repair shop. I had the 1 yearly full subscription to TIS to Web. as for My Verus, I did not partition anything, I installed the Bosch Mastertech VCI on it and it worked good, I was able to run the old GDS on it as well and had no problems using the VCI, but since the GDS2 was released it wont work with the Bosch VCI only with the MDI. Bosch was supposed to release a firmware update for the VCI that would make compatible with the GDS2 but currently they don't want to release it and want you to buy a separate MDI to use with the GDS2. And like you stated you can't run them in the same partition, You must install 2 operating system and dual boot to different partitions, The VCI manager and the MDI manager are not compatible with each other, you can only have one installed. I still use the Bosch VCI but I need to uninstall the MDI to install the VCI or vice versa. The WinTech2 also won't work with the VCI only the MDI and you download it with the TIS yearly subscription. and its lease is for 30 days but then expires and you need to renew through the TIS to Web download software of the Tech2. Hope this answers your Questions..

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                      • Apr 2011

@eddiesverus
                      Thank you for the reply and info. I also wanted to add, that the Tech 2Win DOES NOT PROGRAM MODULES yet. So I guess I'll have to look into buying a Tech2 in the future. OF course, unless someone can tell me otherwise. Thanks again. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• gmworldclass
                        • Oct 2010

Tech2win will not program modules but u need the mdi for tech2win and the mdi will program all gm module from tis.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

@gmworldclass

So if I buy the MDI from Bosch(blue one), I'll be able to program any module from a GM car? I've had problems with 01 and 02 Chevy Impalas and Malibus where I change the BCM and when I buy a subscription from GM I can only program the PCM. So my question is, does the MDI give me more functions like programming the Airbag Module and Unlocking the Radio after swapping used BCM's? Or is the Tech2 THE ONLY tool that can program these modules? I have a PTPII, so I'm upset that I can't program nothing else but the PCM, does the MDI have the same functions as the Tech2 when it comes to programming modules? Thanks for hearing me out and for your reply. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

Forgot to add something. I know first hand that if you use the PTPII for newer models('06, '07, etc) along with a subscription, u can basically program any module including the ones I described. I just wanted to mention that. Regards, Chavez.
                            Last edited by ToltecasChavez; 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                              @gmworldclass

So if I buy the MDI from Bosch(blue one), I'll be able to program any module from a GM car? I've had problems with 01 and 02 Chevy Impalas and Malibus where I change the BCM and when I buy a subscription from GM I can only program the PCM. So my question is, does the MDI give me more functions like programming the Airbag Module and Unlocking the Radio after swapping used BCM's? Or is the Tech2 THE ONLY tool that can program these modules? I have a PTPII, so I'm upset that I can't program nothing else but the PCM, does the MDI have the same functions as the Tech2 when it comes to programming modules? Thanks for hearing me out and for your reply. Regards, Chavez.
                              Yes Mr Chaves, With the MDI you'll have a full Tech2 with the subscription as stated before and for 2010 and newer its the official GM scanner with the GDS2 software. Basically GM is replacing the Tech2 with the MDI. But don't worry if you already have a tech2, its still good for up to 2010 models. And we still have lots of pre2010 cars out their. For the same price of the PTP2 your better off with the MDI and its also a global programer, so it works with Ford, Chrysler and many others for module programing.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                                • Apr 2011

@eddiesverus
                                Thanks a lot!!! That answers a million questions I've always had. You are a life saver!!! I was thinking of buying a Tech2, but if the MDI does the same and according to you MORE, then I'll stick with the MDI. Just one more question, where can I buy the MDI? Does Bosch have it? I buy starters from them for european cars. So they should have the Blue GM MDI? Thanks again for all ur help and everyone else who has read my questions. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

Working...