Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Lab Scope & Component Level Testing
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 AM

sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If the cam is gone it's cheaper to replace engine in an AFM situation.
We keep Jasper busy with these, and Ford's 3 valve. Reman, the only way to go for minimal headache.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

The lifters are under the head, pulling the valley plate will not help. To replace lifter head must be pulled. Lifter replacement is a bandaid fix, most times the cam is ruined like others said.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I don't think removing valley cover, AKA valve lifter actuator manifold, is going to grant you access to cam lobe inspection. If I remember correctly there are only a few oil drain back holes cast in block that you can peak through. I have seen internal collapsed lifter cause your symptoms and requires head removal to replace lifter. I have also seen lifter roller failure which takes the cam shaft with it. If the cam is gone it's cheaper to replace engine in an AFM situation.
100% agree.In my experience,lobe/roller failure is usually preceded by a squeaking noise that sounds like an accessory belt or pulley noise.If there is a lot of junk in the filter under the oil pressure sensor check to make sure that there is no metal or bearing material in it.Clean it,I wouldn't throw it away as it's meant to keep debris out of the oil manifold and active lifters.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Since the 119K engine ran pretty quiet, the new oil sensor read within specs , no metallicized appearance to the old engine oil drained or in any metallic look seen in the oil sensor screen , I took the intake manifold off, (cleaned the residual dirt beneath with shop vac and screw driver), removed the center AFM lifter Solenoid cover and I was actually able to view the #1 intake lobe that was in question by craning my neck from the center point, and saw the cam lobe looked ok.I pulled the exhaust manifolds and heads. The engine looked wet at back of the engine area so I decided to pull the PITA and drop the front diff and yank the short block out to change the pick up o-ring,reseal oil pan and bottom end, and change out the seeping trans cooler lines. Think all 16 lifters, 4 lifter guides, 3 trans cooler lines, headset gasket kit, head bolts , conversion set, and misc fluids and supplies , hoping to keep parts and materials under $1300.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Trans assembly can be left be in car if you pull the heads off before unbolting, but it is still a PITA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170414_211417 (Small).jpg (134.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20170415_151211 (Small).jpg (160.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 AM

Matt Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Your hourly rate is way too low IMO.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default AFM Disabler ?

2008 Chevy Suburban 5.3 AFM Engine.Parts are ordered . Decisions decisions. Anyone know if a Plug in the OBD connector AFM Disabler is something worth considering to reduce future oil consumption ,prevent a repeat AFM lifter failure , and extend the engine life ?, Or just something months later if the Disabler gets inadvertently unplugged and the AFM then works and goes to Disable cylinder bleed down collapsed mode they might hang up in a collapsed position because AFM lifter was not being exercised regularly, could varnish up inside and then stick when finally used, or on the other hand , since oil be constantly flowing through a new unused AFM lifter the chance of sticking be way less than the common failure part being used on a daily basis . LMAO The reviews of the product sound promising with no change noticed in fuel economy with reduced oil consumption, but how do you know these aren't posted by insider Shills. Horrible failure stories are more believable in IMHO.

Last edited by Witsend; 04-18-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 AM

Someone can flash PCM and make all the misery go away. That way your DLC is not plugged with something that can get kicked out while getting in and out of the vehicle, and lets you plug scan tool in while test driving.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 AM

P.S. my wife has an AFM in her pickup.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 AM
Banned

I went into this job thinking I was just going to take the heads off and do the lifters , but i got all the stem seals with the headset, and figured, why not clean the stuff up, lap the seats and install the seals, but I didn't like the appearance of the exhaust valve faces, so ordered up 8 exhaust valves and new ac tensioner and belt . I already pulled short block Resealing the short block , Oil pan gasket, rear main seal and a new pickup tube o ring, but seems the main caps side bolts weep some oil from the side of block and when I get the conversion set ,hope it has new seal washers for those side bolts, I'm hoping those don't require replacement because they might be torque to yield. I'm trying to resist my inner Demons telling me to pull the waterpump and do the timing chain and oil pump. Just getting carried away I guess.