Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marioald
    • Mar 2015

Noobie-OB1 adapter question

Hello, I am a new, proud owner of a Solus Ultra v13.2, 2013 model. I bought it used from a guy who had bought it for personal use and it has the Euro activation with the cables that come with the Euro option. I plan to update soon to the current v14.4 and they will include the update coming in April.
    What adapters will I need for pre-1996 Ford F-250s and Jeeps? Will the obd-1 cable that comes with the euro kit work with the adapters? I would appreciate your help. Mario
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Hi just go to this link and select application guide on the right hand side. Download and then go near bottom. There is where the information your are after should be. By the way you can google almost any Vehicle application guide (vag) from snap on. Hope this helps. By the way Welcome..Keep smiling
    https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/...s/Software.htm

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

There are 2 different OBD1 adapter kits. You need a new cable that is included with one of the kits.
      Look them up here: https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/...cPlatforms.htm

Go to Solus Ultra, then Scanner Accessories Tab.

On Edit: I see that there is an OBD1 Master adapter kit and an OBD2 to OBD1 Adapter.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

What adapters will I need for pre-1996 Ford F-250s and Jeeps? Will the obd-1 cable that comes with the euro kit work with the adapters? I would appreciate your help. Mario
        Not sure if the OBD1 European cable would work with Domestic and Asian , but it sure looks like at minimum you might have to get a new OBD2 to OBD1adapter and could probably buy a complete MT2500 with case and adapters for way less used than buying that OBD1 master adapter kit new for cars that are getting few and far between (at least here in the rust belt)

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          Not sure if the OBD1 European cable would work with Domestic and Asian , but it sure looks like at minimum you might have to get a new OBD2 to OBD1adapter and could probably buy a complete MT2500 with case and adapters for way less used than buying that OBD1 master adapter kit new for cars that are getting few and far between (at least here in the rust belt)
          The Ultra and EDGE scanners use different connectors. They have microchip technology in order to prevent Chinese copies of the cables and connectors.

witsend, please don't disappoint me, and give me your best tin-foil-hat reason for the microchips! :-)

Joe
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

witsend, please don't disappoint me, and give me your best tin-foil-hat reason for the microchips! :-)
            Well unless the Solus Ultra and Solus Edge have added more Bi directional controls and enhanced features for 20 year plus and older vehicles, the need for OBD1 microchip connectors is akin to ET triing to inseminate a dead Thorough bred race horse In an SR71 Hangar at Area51 to use the veterinerian's implanted microchip to phone home.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
              Well unless the Solus Ultra and Solus Edge have added more Bi directional controls and enhanced features for 20 year plus and older vehicles, the need for OBD1 microchip connectors is akin to ET triing to inseminate a dead Thorough bred race horse In an SR71 Hangar at Area51 to use the veterinerian's implanted microchip to phone home.
              Awesome!! I couldn't have predicted that one!
              Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Awesome!! I couldn't have predicted that one!
                Today 07:32 PM
                Well , I bought a 30 pack of high life instead of the usual 24 of MGD because it's been pretty slow and i'm mourning the death of the high Life Delivery Guy. Expect the Unexpected

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Here comes the Black Helicopter!

Comment

• marioald
                    • Mar 2015

Thank you!!

Thank very much for the responses. It sure helps to navigate these uncharted waters for me. I followed the link has hefaus posted and there was indeed a great deal of information. It did not cross referenced the models of the different makes and for some reason it did not list adapters found in the SO web site, like Ford-1B, 4. I did google the VAG for OBD-1 jeeps and found a great pdf with a ton of information. I now know that I need the Chrysler 1 adapter for 91-95 Jeeps. I will have to wait to see if the Euro OBD1 cable works with the adapters. I could always get the an OBDII to I adapter. I found and made an offer for this set:

Still in Original Packaging - Never Opened

Part number# EAK03014B08A

OBD-I Vehicle Adapter Kit

This kit includes the most US and Asian vehicles.

Kit includes data cable and the:

Multi 1, Ford1B, Ford4, GM1, Toyota1, Toyota 2, Nissan1, Nissan2, Mazda1, Honda1, Mitsubishi1 adapters.

Optional for Verdict and Solus Ultra.

The part number is not on SO's web site. It is probably a discontinued kit. I don't see the Chrysler I and II adapters on the list although it does say "the most US adapters". I suppose I could add individual adapters later if nothing else. What do you guys think of this kit? There are a lot of pre 1996 vehicles around here.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

If Joe is correct about the Solus Ultra and Solus Edge Scanners using new proprietary OBD 1 connectors incorporating microchip technology, it would kind of suck if the earlier Snap On Scan tool OBD 1 connectors won't fit and work on a Solus Ultra or Solus Edge.
                      Snap On Could argue that even the Chinese are afraid to copy their own Sh@t because Bottom Feeding Walmart People Americans (like myself )won't update the Das and several years down the road and just try to buy just the Mini Scanner Body to toss in the Das case and continue to use the Das scanner's OD1 style connectors because they're not used too often and will still look basically like new 15 years from now LOL.
                      Maybe Dr J create some amusing Pics of Port Freight Tool People

Comment

• hefaus
                        • Dec 2007

Das

Das is true..Rolmao. Enjoy , keep smiling

Comment

• marioald
                          • Mar 2015

SO I got it. Hopefully it will be a genuine SO set.

Comment

Working...