Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

Au revoir SureTrack

Well guys, my subscription from my update is over and I wont be around for a while as I dont have any plans to update past 14.2 til at least spring.
    Its been nice talking with, learning from and helping everyone that Ive been able to do so with.

SureTrack could be(will be?) a really great place in the future its needs more people like the top 5 or 10 contributors. Virtually all of these guys seem to be doing this to truly help other people and to learn.

Obviously theres some reason for this post....Im not just here to be sentimental and tell you all Im gonna miss you.

Suretrack is broken.
    I get that its a business, that its part of the ProDemand subscription service, that part of my ludacris software update bills go to allow me access to the site, I get that the great guys (Nick is awesome!) and gals that run and curate the site need to get paid.Im aware of the cost of servers. I understand it has less value if its free. I understand all of these things......However its worthless without good contributions.

Allowing only the compensated Trusted Techs and people with current SnapOn software subscriptions to contribute is silly. Sure require a subscription to ask questions, require one to join and prove yourself. Forcing proven, highly "ranked", contributing members to continue to "pay" to contribute to to the site is patently absurd.

So using what sparked this diatribe as the example lets examine it. One of the consistently highest "ranked" contributors of all the "regular" users(non TrustedTechs) has an expired subscription because his SO software is only 14.2.
    This contributor whom in many months of use has only literally asked two questions but has made well over one thousand posts,offered diagnostic assistance, supplied OEM schematics and other invaluable information is no longer allowed to participate and help others, simply because he chooses not to run the latest Snapon diagnostic software.

If every proven regular contributor to the site was denied access merely because they didnt run the newest software from SO, Suretrack would cease to be a valuable.

This is why SureTrack is broken, this is why Im pissed off right now.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!!!

Maven.
    Last edited by maven; 12-31-2014, 11:58 PM.
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

Brad,

I'm sorry your access expired. I have extended it through February while I work on a solution. As you might guess, everyone is out on vacation.

You are a valuable resource to the community and I certainly don't want to lose you.

Nick.
    SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.

Comment

• cruisinmiles
      • Jul 2014

Well said Mavin!

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Maven has been a valuable contributor to Suretrack and in these forums.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Maven, your a huge asset to the Sure Track website. All the flaws aside, Sure Track is still a powerful resource for the auto repair community. Your contributions to ST have directly led to several repairs in my shop. Your absence to the forum will be a big loss. Please reconsider.

Comment

• ericsautomotive
            • Mar 2014

Don't go....

Maven, I hope you reconsider leaving ST. I could see you becoming a Trusted Tech in the very near future. Heck, if I had any thing to do with that. You already would be.... Hope they realize how much you help ??
            Your friend, Eric Girard
            Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ericsautomotive
              Maven, I hope you reconsider leaving ST. I could see you becoming a Trusted Tech in the very near future. Heck, if I had any thing to do with that. You already would be.... Hope they realize how much you help ??
              Your friend, Eric Girard

+1 he is an asset to the community and will be missed
              MasterWrench

Comment

• maven
                • Mar 2014

Thank you for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it, the people around here make the place.

Thank you Nick for extending subscription privileges for me.

And thanks to Brett for reaching out to me as well and for bringing my concerns to the attention of higher-ups.

Comment

• Jay G.
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Nick_Taylor
                  Brad,

I'm sorry your access expired. I have extended it through February while I work on a solution. As you might guess, everyone is out on vacation.

You are a valuable resource to the community and I certainly don't want to lose you.

Nick.
                  Hi Maven,
                  I agree with Nick and the others and we don't want to lose you. I have extended your account to 12/31/2016. If we are both around in Dec 2016 I will extend it again. I will do the same for all of our valued contributors.

Regards
                  Jay

Comment

• maven
                    • Mar 2014

Thank you Jay, for that. And thank you to everyone who got involved.

Im sorry I brought it up in this way, it just happened because I am passionate about the service and products and thats how it came out.

Thanks to ALL, sorry for the "drama"

Comment

• Jay G.
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by maven
                      Thank you Jay, for that. And thank you to everyone who got involved.

Im sorry I brought it up in this way, it just happened because I am passionate about the service and products and thats how it came out.

Thanks to ALL, sorry for the "drama"
                      Brad,
                      No need to apologize and thank you for bringing it up. We should take better care of our SureTrack Techs especially those that take time out of their day to help others on the site. I will be working with Nick this week to compile a list of our top techs and update their status to Trusted Techs (we will contact you first). This is something that I should have been done but I dropped the ball and for that I apologize to you and the other top techs.
                      Regards
                      Jay

Comment

• Scott 79
                        • Mar 2014

Maven, I am glad you are going to be around, most of the replies I post are from the 35+ years of experience and I can see your passion in your posts. I am not as tech savy (on here) as a few others are and I have seen good techs drop out for the very reason you listed. I do ask more questions than most of the top techs do on here but about 85% of the time I am looking for that "verification" of my way of thinking! Thanks Nick and Brad? for allowing you to stay with us! I am now paying SO about $100 a month to stay here and stay updated on my tools. If you didn't know I am Autobouncer... and I think I need to change my name on this site so that you know who in the hell you're talking to. You have helped me countless times as Eric and MasterWrench have. Sometimes with my workload I can only cruise ST at night and you guys beat me to the correct reply! Once again, thanks all involved for keeping one of the best techs on here, on here!!!
                        Last edited by Scott 79; 01-13-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                          Administrator
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Scott 79
                          Maven, I am glad you are going to be around, most of the replies I post are from the 35+ years of experience and I can see your passion in your posts. I am not as tech savy (on here) as a few others are and I have seen good techs drop out for the very reason you listed. I do ask more questions that most of the top techs do on here but about 85% of the time I am looking for that "verification" of my way of thinking! Thanks Nick and Brad? for allowing you to stay with us! I am now paying SO about $100 a month to stay here and stay updated on my tools. If you didn't know I am Autobouncer... and I think I need to change my name on this site so that you know who in the hell you're talking to. You have helped me countless times as Eric and MasterWrench have. Sometimes with my workload I can only cruise ST at night and you guys beat me to the correct reply! Once again, thanks all involved for keeping one of the best techs on here, on here!!!
                          Scott, instead of changing your name, you can create a signature line and put your SureTrack name in it. Click on the link for "User Setttings" in the tool bar where it shows your name.

Comment

• Scott 79
                            • Mar 2014

Test for signature

Cool, thanks Nick!!!

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2014

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...