Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcallan
    • Feb 2023

MT2500 Scanner Cartridge Repair

Snap On has told me they do not repair the MT2500 model any longer. Is there someplace/anyone else I can get to diagnose and fix an MT2500 and/or MT2500 cartridges?

My MT2500 is like new. I bought it from my loyal Snap-On man at retail in about 1996-1997. I have the same small fleet of vehicles I had then: A 1994 Chrysler LHS, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 1998.0 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel Pickup.

Recently the ZJ (Jeep Grand Cherokee) has been throwing DTC P0304 and P0300 intermittently. The scanner would talk to the PCM for about 10 minutes of test driving, then stop communicating with the PCM; other scanner communication with the vehicle continued as normal. On a hunch I bought a new-to-me 2002 ROM based Primary Cartridge and a 2004 EPROM based Primary Cartridge & Troubleshooter. Plugged the new 2002 Primary in and was back in business, for about 10-15 minutes, then back to message "Waiting for module to communicate with the scanner. Turn the ignition key off, then crank or start the engine." so I tried the new 2004 EPROM based primary cartridge and again everything started working again - for about (you guessed it), then back to message "Waiting...". The Jeep is killing the Primary Cartridges.

Any ideas on what could be killing the Primary Cartridges? The only thing slightly unusual is my keep-alive battery is a lithium 9V instead of an alkaline 9V.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Try it on another vehicle before you condemn the cartridge. It might be something on the Jeep that is dropping communication. Next I'd suspect the key to be the problem. What one are you using for that year Jeep?
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• jpcallan
      • Feb 2023

Tested on 1998 Dodge Ram 2500

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      Try it on another vehicle before you condemn the cartridge. It might be something on the Jeep that is dropping communication. Next I'd suspect the key to be the problem. What one are you using for that year Jeep?
      Joe
      Thanks for the tip. Before creating the post I tested the suspected bad Primary Cartridges on a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 and they behaved the same. The EPROM based Primary Cartridge is MT25001098.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Then to answer your original question:
        No. There's nobody repairing them. They're just too old.
        If you're sure it's the cartridge, you can always pick one up and swap your PROM into it.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• 1ftingrave
          • Dec 2023

96 car, obd2 first year oBD2, USA, canada was 1998 first year.
          so the cartridge is bad.
          Using the OBD2 cable with OBD2 end adapter for jeep? and key 13, is it?
          there are no new cartridges. (for over over a decade or more)
          just used and are called Pigs in a poke sack, anything used is.
          the cost of repairing the cartridge is way more than buying a used one. Labor costs now are not cheap..

now they why it it failing list. (the OBD2 cable can be bad, you know that OBD2 uses not just 1 signalling pin or pair, each maker uses what they want, in your case it is.
          if not needing bi directional tool for OBD2 why not just by a USB, OBD2 dongle and scan it that way, from say, Scantool.net $50?

now the way
          well that cables bad/ intermittent. 15 to 15 pin
          the cartridge is bad.
          the cartridge was insert with power on the MT2500 and blow up the cartridge you will. do not hot swap them. or use 2 primaries at the same time, and remove the 2nd cartridge to see if it works now.
          the EPROMs on the CART. are wrong or damage or put in wrong way or pins bent under them or only the PO knows what.
          parts on the Cart (lid off) see damage or burned parts, or smells like smoke it sure is bad.

OBD2, USA, zj 96
          PCM comms. only
          only pins 6 and 7, SCI are used, DLC to PCM
          so those wires must be good or it fails.
          and ground !!! 4/5/ and Pin 16 , 12vdc power must be good to DLC, at all times if not the fuse to it is blown, loose or cracked

Last edited by 1ftingrave; 12-29-2023, 01:41 PM. Reason: errors and too long. shorter now.

Comment

Working...