Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkmech
    • Apr 2012

Cam shaft offset

Does anyone know how to or if Solus Ultra can check camshaft offset. I want to see if cam may be off a tooth and not have to remove front cover again on 4.3 V6
  • CrazyFreak
    • Sep 2011

Sine you didn't list a vehicle and a year I'll just assume the most common 4.3 v6 found in a GMC. You can see Cam off set but the only problem is that the distributor can affect it as the cam sensor is there. I have replaced few gear on the distributor because it was worn and also I have seen slotted brackets for the distributor to make it adjustable, where as it was fixed from factory.

Comment

• bkmech
      • Apr 2012

Sorry, 01 S10

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

As crazyfreak mentioned, you can see if it is, but you could have the distributor off a tooth, or a worn gear on the distributor. The quickest, easiest way to know for sure is to do pressure signature analysis with a pressure transducer and a scope.

Jim Garrido explains it well here: http://automotivetestsolutions.com/p...e.htm#pressure

I am fortunate that he is a friend, does training locally, and I went to this class. Smart dude, and good info there.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Yes. You can view CMP Offset with your scanner. The engine must rev over 1500 RPMs for this number to update.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

Working...