• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Because
    • Jul 2010

Bug Report

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
    VIN 2G2WP552181150796

While watching datastream graphs 4 to a screen for APP Sensor 1, APP Sensor 2, TPS Sensor 1, & TPS Sensor 2, the tool quit updating data. All 4 PIDS went to zero volts and the tool quit responding to key or screen touch input. I had to hold the power key for an extended period in order to force a shut down.

Beginning to lose confidence in this tool.

Please advise if 12.2 is addressing any of these reliability / data integrity issues. If I have to back up my findings of this tool with an OE tool, the purpose of this tool is pointless.
  • tecnick
    • May 2012

Is this the first time it's ever done this? My Solus Pro did that once or twice to me and my Verus has already done it once. Nothing to get too excited about, how many times have you had to hit "control alt delete" on a windows pc because of a lockup? lol

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by tecnick
      Is this the first time it's ever done this? My Solus Pro did that once or twice to me and my Verus has already done it once. Nothing to get too excited about, how many times have you had to hit "control alt delete" on a windows pc because of a lockup? lol
      Almost never because I ask it to one thing at a time.
      The Ultra is ONE tool doing ONE thing, communicating with a vehicle.
      As the original post states, if he has to back up the first tools' findings with an OE tool, then it's a wheel chock.

Accuracy, stability, reliability.

Comment

• Because
        • Jul 2010

No, it's not the first time it's ever done this. It's the first time I've detailed it in a 'Bug Report'.

My XP machines are infinitely more reliable than this tool has been to date. They run 24 / 7 for months and months without rebooting and without issues.

Your comparison doesn't work because Microsoft has no control over the hardware, additional quantity and quality of software loaded over the OS, and number of programs running at any given moment. When XP screws up, it's usually software competing with the OS or software competing with other software. Or poorly written software with a suicidal bent.

Snap-On has complete control over everything going on inside this tool. They alone are responsible for the successes and failures of its software and hardware performance. I expect better for a single purpose piece of hardware marketed to the professional technician for use in that arena. This equipment isn't a novelty for me. It has to first pay for itself and second make me more money than I can make without it. It's not doing that. At this point it's not a success for me at what it is supposed to be.

I will continue my 'Bug Reports' and encourage others to do the same. I'm sure Snap-On doesn't know about all of the bugs out there. If they are properly posted here, they should by rights be addressed at a reasonable pace. Hopefully that will happen and we will all have better tools for that reason. If not, it will be proof that Snap-On cannot or will not make this tool as successful as it can be. I honestly want it to be successful.

Comment

• tecnick
          • May 2012

I was just busting your balls because some of the posts I've seen people jump at the chance to make complaints on new products. The solus ultra running on windows ce should be stable as hell and not lock up at all.

Did a reboot do anything or it flat out didn't want anything to do with that car? You should call tech line support so they have a log of it.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Because
            No, it's not the first time it's ever done this. It's the first time I've detailed it in a 'Bug Report'.

My XP machines are infinitely more reliable than this tool has been to date. They run 24 / 7 for months and months without rebooting and without issues.

Your comparison doesn't work because Microsoft has no control over the hardware, additional quantity and quality of software loaded over the OS, and number of programs running at any given moment. When XP screws up, it's usually software competing with the OS or software competing with other software. Or poorly written software with a suicidal bent.

Snap-On has complete control over everything going on inside this tool. They alone are responsible for the successes and failures of its software and hardware performance. I expect better for a single purpose piece of hardware marketed to the professional technician for use in that arena. This equipment isn't a novelty for me. It has to first pay for itself and second make me more money than I can make without it. It's not doing that. At this point it's not a success for me at what it is supposed to be.

I will continue my 'Bug Reports' and encourage others to do the same. I'm sure Snap-On doesn't know about all of the bugs out there. If they are properly posted here, they should by rights be addressed at a reasonable pace. Hopefully that will happen and we will all have better tools for that reason. If not, it will be proof that Snap-On cannot or will not make this tool as successful as it can be. I honestly want it to be successful.
            YUP-!!!
            Timely corrections to failings in a professional tool, which in theory shouldn't have such failings in the first place.

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Bob

Thank you for posting the bug report! I will forward it to the correc t people. Your tool has 11.4???

Thanks
              Steve

Comment

• Orevin
                • Aug 2010

... The solus ultra running on windows ce should be stable as hell and not lock up at all...

Solus Ultra is not running Windows CE.
                -Kai-
                Chicago, IL

Comment

• Because
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Steve6911
                  Bob

Thank you for posting the bug report! I will forward it to the correc t people. Your tool has 11.4???

Thanks
                  Steve
                  Yes - I am running 11.4.

Comment

• Because
                    • Jul 2010

I was just busting your balls because some of the posts I've seen people jump at the chance to make complaints on new products. The solus ultra running on windows ce should be stable as hell and not lock up at all.

Did a reboot do anything or it flat out didn't want anything to do with that car? You should call tech line support so they have a log of it.
                    I know what you mean about people whining about every little thing. I'm more open minded than that and really want this tool to work.

I didn't reboot. It failed so I grabbed a Tech 2 and did what I needed to do with the car. I have been working the Solus first over OE tools because it is faster to setup and easier to use. I am beginning to second guess that however because I am now spending extra time verifying results and dealing with lockups / misbehaving tool episodes.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Because

While watching datastream graphs 4 to a screen for APP Sensor 1, APP Sensor 2, TPS Sensor 1, & TPS Sensor 2, the tool quit updating data. All 4 PIDS went to zero volts and the tool quit responding to key or screen touch input. I had to hold the power key for an extended period in order to force a shut down.

Beginning to lose confidence in this tool.
                      There is nothing wrong with the tool. You exposed the unit to great magnetic field and processor quit working. Snap on scanner units lack internal ground shielding for electronics, this is why all the solus series would lock up or quit working every once in a while. Take the battery out of your cell phone and you will see that there is a metal shielding in the cell phone protecting the processor and other electronics from magnetical fields

Comment

• Because
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
                        There is nothing wrong with the tool. You exposed the unit to great magnetic field and processor quit working. Snap on scanner units lack internal ground shielding for electronics, this is why all the solus series would lock up or quit working every once in a while. Take the battery out of your cell phone and you will see that there is a metal shielding in the cell phone protecting the processor and other electronics from magnetical fields
                        Thanks for the input, but I'm doubting that this is the case. I had the tool sitting on my lap while seated in the driver's seat of the vehicle. If that activity generated enough of a magnetic field to disrupt the tool's operation, then yes there is something wrong with the tool. It needs $5 worth of shielding installed to protect it from the earth's atmospheric anomalies.

Comment

Working...