Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfre1111
    • Jun 2015

Newbie to the S U GM ABS help

Hi all, I just picked this SU up about a week ago off of ebay. I couldn't afford a new one. It has 14.2 software with all the bells and whistles activated. I have had a red brick forever it seems like. I figured I better upgrade if I plan on continuing in the field. Well to my surprise, I go through the online training and everything I can find on it. Sorry to be long winded. To make a long story short. I am trying to use the auto bleed function on a 97 chevy c1500 and I get no response. I put the year and everything in and check codes and there are none. I press the button to turn on the auto bleed and press the brake pedal like it says but I get nothing. The pedal is really low. I have manually bled the brakes correctly and have no air. I am trying to get the pedal up to a height that is somewhat normal. It does say to refer to reference materials for instructions, but I have no idea what reference materials it is referring to. I am assuming that there is some reference material that I haven't found yet or my SU didn't come with. I did have to replace the master cylinder on this vehicle. It all started by hitting a pot hole and the brakes went away. When I looked there was no brake fluid in the m/s and the rubber grommet under the cap was sucked all the way in the m/c. Any help would be appreciated. I think I need to find some training on this thing. As you know this is way more advanced than my old mt2500.
    Last edited by mfre1111; 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM.
  • ericsautomotive
    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by mfre1111
    Hi all, I just picked this SU up about a week ago off of ebay. I couldn't afford a new one. It has 14.2 software with all the bells and whistles activated. I have had a red brick forever it seems like. I figured I better upgrade if I plan on continuing in the field. Well to my surprise, I go through the online training and everything I can find on it. Sorry to be long winded. To make a long story short. I am trying to use the auto bleed function on a 97 chevy c1500 and I get no response. I put the year and everything in and check codes and there are none. I press the button to turn on the auto bleed and press the brake pedal like it says but I get nothing. The pedal is really low. I have manually bled the brakes correctly and have no air. I am trying to get the pedal up to a height that is somewhat normal. It does say to refer to reference materials for instructions, but I have no idea what reference materials it is referring to. I am assuming that there is some reference material that I haven't found yet or my SU didn't come with. I did have to replace the master cylinder on this vehicle. It all started by hitting a pot hole and the brakes went away. When I looked there was no brake fluid in the m/s and the rubber grommet under the cap was sucked all the way in the m/c. Any help would be appreciated. I think I need to find some training on this thing. As you know this is way more advanced than my old mt2500.
    Having that Snap-On Verus up graded to 14.4 or 15.2 will turn it into a much better tool. Did the SV ask for K-17 key when you accessed the ABS system ??
    As far as the brakes are concerned. With the master cylinder being that low. I would look for worn out brake lining and or some type of leak somewhere. Or have you already repaired the brake system ??
    Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Having that Snap-On Verus up graded to 14.4 or 15.2 will turn it into a much better tool. Did the SV ask for K-17 key when you accessed the ABS system ??
      As far as the brakes are concerned. With the master cylinder being that low. I would look for worn out brake lining and or some type of leak somewhere. Or have you already repaired the brake system ??
      I'm pretty sure the Solus Ultra no longer requires personality key. If it were a 97 GM here in the Chicago land probably have to re plumb all the rotted steel tubes under there if you disturb anything . Where's a defective Shuttle Booster when you need one?

Comment

• ericsautomotive
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
        I'm pretty sure the Solus Ultra no longer requires personality key. If it were a 97 GM here in the Chicago land probably have to re plumb all the rotted steel tubes under there if you disturb anything . Where's a defective Shuttle Booster when you need one?
        I see the SU and not SV now.......
        Should still have it updated !!
        Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

It all started by hitting a pot hole and the brakes went away. When I looked there was no brake fluid in the m/s and the rubber grommet under the cap was sucked all the way in the m/c. Any help would be appreciated
          Ya think maybe a wheel hub bearing went away after hitting the pot hole?
          A ridiculous amount of play in or out (and or frozen guide pins)will allow rotor to slop around in and out pistons push inboard , then when applying pedal the pistons travel is excessively going outward again , besides maybe a rotted steel line failed too in panic stop mode, LOL

Comment

• badcoupe
            • Jan 2011

Ive had a few trucks that my Verus wouldnt activate either, haven't tried one since last update though. Sounds like the rears need adjusted up. If you're getting nice solid stream of fluid then bleeding the abs most likely won't help. Good luck!

Comment

• Because
              • Jul 2010

I'm late to the party here and don't know if you got this resolved. I have seen several GM C / K trucks from that vintage that just seemed to have a crappy brake pedal. I did EVERYTHING imaginable to those vehicles and the brakes just never really felt that good. If you can't get the SO tool to do a manual bleed, you can achieve the same thing by taking the vehicle out on a dirt / gravel road and forcing ABS events to happen. Not ideal - especially since you just spent $2K on a tool that is supposed to do this for you. This will tell you if the ABS system is capable of working and will also move air out if it is trapped.

It should be noted that it is important to follow the setup instructions EXACTLY as presented on the scan tool. They are not just safety dialogue. The test will not run if you ignore park brake applied, etc. The Tech 2 is the same way in this regard. Also consider whether the brake light switch is fully functioning (there are two switches in one housing).

Comment

• carfixer
                • Apr 2015

can you communicate with the abs module read data and codes?

Comment

Working...