Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonzaRacer
    • May 2008

warning stolen Solus Ultra Bloomington IN

Serial number 402SUH519597 stolen evening of Jan 14 2015 on East side near 3rd street. One witness had tire scroungers in black Ford pickup. Anyone with info, call Bloomington IN PD.
    Thanks
    Lee
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Snap On should create a serial number registry of stolen scanners, so if you ever considering purchasing a used Snap On Scanner, you can check to see if it's been reported as stolen and alert authorities

Comment

• MonzaRacer
      • May 2008

Uh they do,,,

According to customer support I have to email them a copy of police report with serial number on it. Then it gets flagged and Snap On wont allow it to update and will notify dealer its a stolen unit,,,then things get sticky with current owner, new owner and police and dealer.
      Basically the current owner of a stolen tool loses out as it will be recovered and he loses the cash laid out.
      Hopefully he can prove he had nothing to do with stealing it.
      I just got a deal with my shops owner too help me source a used scanner off ebay. Got a Verdict D7 for little over $1700. and it has newer software than my old solus.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Flagged Units search by serial number

According to customer support I have to email them a copy of police report with serial number on it. Then it gets flagged and Snap On wont allow it to update and will notify dealer its a stolen unit,,,then things get sticky with current owner, new owner and police and dealer.
        Why should things have to get sticky at all.If this serial # list exists, then there should be an easy accessible link that a prospective buyer of any used Snap On Scantool can access the web page and type in a serial number of a used unit to do a search on the entered serial number quickly or a phone number to reach a Snap On Rep that can run the serial number of the used unit with out the registered owner's name in a minute to see if unit is on a HOT OR NOT "Flagged" Unit list due to theft or tech skipping out of town without paying unit off and less people would be able to resell a stolen units after the word gets out to run the serial number on Snap On Web site.
        How about it Snap On ?
        Last edited by Witsend; 01-26-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Nobody does anything like that because it would prevent guys stealing scanners from getting caught. Can you call the police with a VIN and ask them to check if it's stolen? No. They will come out to do it though, and the person in possession of it will get arrested. Same thing with the scanner. Send it in for repiar, or attempt to update it and it gets flagged. Cops get called. Person in possession needs to show where they got it or they are in possession of stolen property. Being able to check first would prevent folks from getting their scanners back.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Nobody does anything like that because it would prevent guys stealing scanners from getting caught. Can you call the police with a VIN and ask them to check if it's stolen? No. They will come out to do it though, and the person in possession of it will get arrested. Same thing with the scanner. Send it in for repiar, or attempt to update it and it gets flagged. Cops get called. Person in possession needs to show where they got it or they are in possession of stolen property. Being able to check first would prevent folks from getting their scanners back.

Joe
            I disagree about burning a second hand buyer to retrieve a repo or stolen scanner. ,Just having access to flagged serial number list on site would prevent a lot of folk from buying it and report it, much harder to resell stolen scanners if it could be checked on site first, even to pawn shops , let them sit a week and run #s before paying out on one, if folk can simply check online to make sure a serial number isn't flagged. Since anyone that buys a used Snap On Scanner , can't check this out before buying one to see if it even shows a lien on it , then folk just be too scared to try and update a used Snap On Scanner for fear a sticky situation might arise . Sounds like a lot of folk will be buying more new DS 708s than getting a used Snap On Scanners that when updated down the road it might be taken away from them if it wasn't paid off yet or reported stolen.
            Monza Racer would love his serial # to be known to anyone that wants to buy it to see beforehand asap that it's a stolen scanner and reported to authorities , not like 2 years later when a buyer decides to update it. I don't see why someone running the serial # on the Snap On Site before they buy it , even a resale shop can then alert the authorities and bust the person triing to sell it without bringing a preventable second or third victim into the equation besides.
            I'm sure I could just ask a cop I know to run the Vin # if I'm suspicious and he will and I always know to first look at a car's title for lien release and seller's ID before i would buy the car .
            Before I bought my original Solus with 6.4 on Craigslist , I got the serial number and called Snap On customer service to see if the serial # was at least clear with Snap On Credit and not reported stolen and she needed a full name and address and account #. I didn't have it , but I had the guys address and got a bill of sale, but in the back of my head , did I really need any unpleasant surprise on the truck to update it that the scanner still belong to Snap On Credit because a tech didn't pay it off yet, or maybe it didn't work right he just reported it stolen, defaulted, and had a buddy sell it for him . Who knows, and who want's to find that out after you buy it. I didn't. They say buyer beware , but if Snap On has the flagged scanner info and won't let a prospective second owner know it's a flagged scanner before he rewards a thief with cash to buy it, then it's really Snap On's fault the original owner might have to wait as long as 2 years or longer before the 2nd owner decides to update it or sell to another Patsy and the paper trail to the original thief be lost by then .
            Can't see why something set up on Snap On site for scanner serial #s won't get scanners back to the rightful owners and catch crooks selling them like the site below for vehicle Vin #s entered. Guess it's more to do with getting back the scanners that still show to have unpaid balances left with Snap On Credit then recovering stolen ones for the owners that were paid off already, that's what I Think?LOL
            Last edited by Witsend; 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

You guessed incorrectly. Nobody said anything about getting back scanners that have balances due on them. That doesn't happen. Only stolen ones.

I know you like your idea better, but that that isn't how it is set up.

Joe
              Henry Ford

Comment

• BMasterjerry
                • Jul 2014

If the original owner posts that it's stolen and the serial number on the internet, wouldn't it show up if you did a Google search on the serial number?

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

If the original owner posts that it's stolen and the serial number on the internet, wouldn't it show up if you did a Google search on the serial number?
                  It depends whether or not the post stays up long enough on a maintained web site . Expired Craigslist posts wont come up after awhile. Maybe an industrial strength Law Enforcement search engine can but , the reular Joe Smo running a serial number of old Scwinnn bicycle or stolen scanner might not get much.

You guessed incorrectly. Nobody said anything about getting back scanners that have balances due on them. That doesn't happen. Only stolen ones.
                  Any unpaid off Snap On scanner of the original buyer that is sold to someone else and the original buyer defaults that doesnt pay off the balance , that unpaid for scanner could technically be considered stolen property. Are you saying Snap On isn't going to take the scanner away from someone later at update time and give them the option to pay off the balance owed before they'can get it back?
                  Last edited by Witsend; 01-27-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                    It depends whether or not the post stays up long enough on a maintained web site . Expired Craigslist posts wont come up after awhile. Maybe an industrial strength Law Enforcement search engine can but , the reular Joe Smo running a serial number of old Scwinnn bicycle or stolen scanner might not get much.

Any unpaid off Snap On scanner of the original buyer that is sold to someone else and the original buyer defaults that doesnt pay off the balance , that unpaid for scanner could technically be considered stolen property. Are you saying Snap On isn't going to take the scanner away from someone later at update time and give them the option to pay off the balance owed before they'can get it back?
                    Yes Sir. I am saying that the original purchaser is responsible for the debt. They don't forgive debt on stolen tools. No creditor does that. If they find one that is stolen and the police are called, the original purchaser will get the tool back. This exact scenarios happened to a friend and customer of mine. The guy that bought it didn't get in trouble because he was able to prove where he bought it. I don't know what happened beyond that.
                    Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• STURNER
                      • Oct 2014

Why not have a place on this forum. Techs with stolen units and dealers with unpaid debts can post the serials? Be the change you want to see.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Why not have a place on this forum. Techs with stolen units and dealers with unpaid debts can post the serials? Be the change you want to see.
                        It would be too easy to do , Probably won't get The Nod by The Brass for it to happen. If it takes a longer time to recover a stolen scanner until it comes in for a repair or update, there's a better chance of selling a replacement scanner within a month or two to the guy that lost it. Snap On also desires the sales of all the used scanners to go through a Rep on a truck if possible. , and if you choose to bypass a rep selling authorized scanners to go buy a grey area one cheaper off of Craigslist , or E-bay from a private party, It might be on a double top secret black list as a Repo or Stolen unit. When the time comes you decide to get your used scanner updated or repaired ,6 months, a year or 2 down the road, you better have all your papers in order to show who you bought it from , name, address , phone # etc because you might end up in A Trick Bag Situation to either give it up or opt to take over the defaulted remaining payments.Such a deal ROFLMAO
                        Last edited by Witsend; 01-31-2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• STURNER
                          • Oct 2014

I'd like to give them more credit than that.

Comment

Working...