Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krazeerob
    • Jan 2012

Scanner wont detect an obd2 1997 Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager

I just bought the new Solus Ultra with the 11.4 upgrade included. Opened the box and went straight to my 1997 Nissan Quest with the OBD2 diagnostic link and connected the unit. After I prompted through all the procedure to scan, it came to a point that asked for a NISS-2 Adapter/DA-5 Cable. Well I said maybe it needs a specific adapter. Even though I was told that from 1996 and up I wouldn't have a problem. So I went and bought the cable and the adapter. The adapter and cable were not compatible with my 1997 Nissan either. Please help me with this issue..
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Even though the EPA said all 1996 and newer vehicles must support OBDII, the manufactures are still free to do what they want with enhanced data. Only the generic emissions related data is sent through the OBDII connector. To see all the data PIDS and read the manufacturer specific codes, you must use the Nissan-2 adapter. The DLC is located in/around fuse block area I believe.
    Click below for more info, this is the communications manual for Asian.

See page 123.

HTH and good luck!
    Last edited by sbreland73; 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM.
    S. Breland

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by sbreland73
      Even though the EPA said all 1996 and newer vehicles must support OBDII, the manufactures are still free to do what they want with enhanced data. Only the generic emissions related data is sent through the OBDII connector. To see all the data PIDS and read the manufacturer specific codes, you must use the Nissan-2 adapter. The DLC is located in/around fuse block area I believe.
      Click below for more info, this is the communications manual for Asian.

See page 123.

HTH and good luck!
      Nissan / Infinity starts on page 162 in that PDF.

As mentioned you should have been able to read a generic code through the regular OBD 2 port.

I remeber having a similar issue on an early nissan truck and one of the cars just can't remeber which one... we had to use the Nissan 2 connector and locate the plug for it. We also had to dig around to find the secondary connector under the dash. Some times there located on the passenger side

Hope this info helps.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
        Nissan / Infinity starts on page 162 in that PDF.

As mentioned you should have been able to read a generic code through the regular OBD 2 port.

I remeber having a similar issue on an early nissan truck and one of the cars just can't remeber which one... we had to use the Nissan 2 connector and locate the plug for it. We also had to dig around to find the secondary connector under the dash. Some times there located on the passenger side

Hope this info helps.
        Oh SNAP! You're right! I was looking at my manual on the Verus.
        S. Breland

Comment

• JoshB
          • Nov 2011

There are 2 DLCs on a Villager of that vintage. There is the one on the lower left of the dash, and there is another one right on the fuse panel under the dash on the left-hand side.

Many vehicles had OBDI information that late, some trucks had them through the early 2000's.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JoshB; 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM. Reason: Add an attachment

Comment

Working...