X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delacruz390
    • Mar 2012

FYI Cylinder contribution data glitch

99 Lincoln Towncar 4.6l, VIN 1LNHM81W8XY
    Vehicle came in to shop Thursday with a P0307 and P0420. I connected my Solus Ultra 11.4 and verified a dead cat on bank 1, but when I tried checking the misfire using the cylinder contribution test I found something odd. The code pointed to cylinder #7 but the data showed cylinder #4 was misfiring. Long story short after swapping coils and disconnecting injectors I came to the conclusion that the data for cylinder #4 and cylinder #7 are mixed up. When I disconnect #7 injector, The data shows a cylinder #4 miss. And when I disconnect #4 injector, The data shows a cylinder #7 miss. Friday my Snap on rep showed up and I got my Ultra updated to 12.2, I mentioned the glitch and he advised me to contact Snap on with my findings. So here I am. But here's the kicker. The customer came back on Monday for the catalytic. After the repair, for giggles, I hooked up my Ultra which is now updated to 12.2 and pulled the #7 and #4 injectors while doing the cylinder contribution test and sure enough the glitch is still there. The data for #7 and #4 is mixed up in 12.2 also. I didn't take the time into checking if other cylinders are swapped but they could be. I'm very sure I entered all the right info when building the car for the scanner too. I'm not sure if Snap On monitors this forum so I guess this is some friendly FYI to other techs so they don't waste their time chasing the wrong cylinder. Oh it was a bad #7 coil that caused the P0307.
  • Nickb
    DSD
    • Aug 2007

There is a fix coming. Here is the bulletin we just received.

SOLUS ULTRA 11.4 SOFTWARE SERVICE RELEASE
    North America SOLUS Ultra customers with Bundle 11.4 can get the latest Service Release (1.0.5.8448) beginning Monday, April 16, via ShopStream Connect. This Service Release will deliver the following items:

· Ford Cylinder Contribution Test fix

· Main Menu corrections

On Monday, April 16 SOLUS Ultra customers can download this Service Release through ShopStream Connect. To download the latest version of ShopStream Connect software, point customers to http://diagnostics.snapon.com/ssc.
    DSD

Comment

• delacruz390
      • Mar 2012

Like I said Im updated to 12.2 already and the glitch was still there. Will This 11.4 patch fix it even tho Im at 12.2? Sorry, Im not real familiar with what is changed or added between updates. I like the Solus Ultra, its my first real serious diagnostic tool.

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

delacruz,

this is likely happening because #4 & #7 are companion cylinders. hopefully the snappy patch will do the trick. otherwise, just keep that watchful eye you got there wide open .

Comment

• BMW JEDI
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by crackerclicker
          delacruz,

this is likely happening because #4 & #7 are companion cylinders. hopefully the snappy patch will do the trick. otherwise, just keep that watchful eye you got there wide open .
          How are #4 and #7 companion cylinders?

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
            How are #4 and #7 companion cylinders?
            both at tdc at the same time. just on different strokes. fire order 15426378
            Last edited by crackerclicker; 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by crackerclicker
              both at tdc at the same time. just on different strokes. fire order 15426378
              Thank You!

Guess you can tell who doesn't work on Fords much, eh?

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Thank You!

Guess you can tell who doesn't work on Fords much, eh?

If you take the first 4 cylinders in the firing order, then put the last 4 under them, you can see the "paired" cyclinders that are twined on the crank rod arm. Here's the old Chevy firing order 18436572

1 8 4 3
                6 5 7 2

1 is paired with 6
                8 is paired with 5
                4 is paired with 7
                3 is paired with 2

Same goes for almost all v-8 engines. Heck I'd bet it even works for Beamer v-6's too (but i could be surprised)

Been that way 99% of the time since the 50's....basics in 1st year trade school up here. Basics is why I'm so adamant about basics being in the scan tools.

Comment

• delacruz390
                  • Mar 2012

Well I guess I answered my own question. I hooked up my 12.2 Ultra to my computer via Shopstream Connect. And tried to look for updates and it told me no updates were available. I am 100% sure the glitch is there in 12.2! My Snapon rep did come last week and tried telling me that the glitch was fixed in 12.2. I told him I beg to differ, but that Towncar is long gone now and right now there's no Fords at the shop I can fool around with so I couldn't prove it. I'm not sure if its just that Towncar or if its all 4.6 liters or all Ford V8's from that era. I am sure some more Fords with misfires will come in the shop soon. LOL And when they do I will do some testing of my own to verify this.

I was kinda aware that 4 and 7 were companion cylinders from playing with the older 4.6's that had plug wires and 4 tower coils on each bank. Weren't they using the waste spark system. I think 4 and 7 were on the same coil and they just mixed up something in the programming for the Coil on Plug setup. I don't know how the programming works for the cylinder contribution test or if they use the same program over the years. I just don't know, I'm just a tech at a mom and pop shop and most of my resources are from training seminars and whatever I can find on the internet when I get home LOL.
                  Last edited by delacruz390; 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Crusty
                    Same goes for almost all v-8 engines. Heck I'd bet it even works for Beamer v-6's too (but i could be surprised)
                    BMW does not manufacture a V-6

Thank you for the refresher

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

BMW does not manufacture a V-6

Thank you for the refresher
                      No V-6's in Beamers-EH? (Canuck speak) Learn something new every day. We don't see a lot of BMW's out here, but then again, If I did I'd probably get a rash...

Comment

Working...