Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richiehd
    • Sep 2012

How to Ford Contribution test

Ok so I have my new Solus Ultra and bokoo years of experience.
    I have a 2001 f150 engine miss in overdrive 1400-1500 RPM. Stimbles then comes back. Took it for drive with contribution test.
    Didnt show me anything. Everyonce in a while one cylinder or another would read -13 or -20 I was sold on this scanner for this reason particularly. I am sure i am doing something wrong.
  • sbebenelli
    • May 2007

The cylinder contribution test usually works pretty good for me. Did you try mode 6?

Comment

• Richiehd
      • Sep 2012

No Ihavent but I will. Im not sure what I am looking for on the contribution test. Do I use the graph mode.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Richiehd
        No Ihavent but I will. Im not sure what I am looking for on the contribution test. Do I use the graph mode.
        Yes, graph mode helps to see what the cylinders are doing. Also, it is usually better to see at lower RPMs, such as during a power brake. I'm not positive, but I think the CCT is not as sensitive at higher RPMs, similar to poor high speed misfire detection. As sbebenelli stated, Mode 6, PID 53 is a great place to find the misfires on a Ford.
        S. Breland

Comment

• grease monkey
          • Sep 2012

2005 ford 5.4 3v

hey all. simple tune up at first, then spark plug broke. removed rh cyl head and repaired as ness. now have a misfire on cyl 1. no mechanical problems. i am new user of the solus ultra with no training on this scanner. can anyone get me pointed in the right direction

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Once in the engine menu click on the functional tests menu, it should be listed there if available for this application. .

Comment

• Because
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by grease monkey
              hey all. simple tune up at first, then spark plug broke. removed rh cyl head and repaired as ness. now have a misfire on cyl 1. no mechanical problems. i am new user of the solus ultra with no training on this scanner. can anyone get me pointed in the right direction
              I see sometimes that the coil connections can be sketchy. If left alone, they're fine. Once you unplug them, they don't make good contact when re-connected. When i run into this problem, I hit the connection with a spray cleaner and work it repeatedly onto the coil. Fixes them 99% of the time. Sparing apply dielectric to help preserve the connection.

Another thought. I have occasionally seen a misfire called out that is 1 cylinder adjacent to the actual failed cylinder in the firing order. In other words, if the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 and you have a misfire code for Cyl # 3 and can't find anything, take a quick look at cyls #2 & #4.

Comment

Working...