Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BMWrookie
    • Feb 2014

Any way to get european software installed for cheep

Hello I recently just purchased the Snap on Solus Ultra . This is my first snap on scan tool. I do have some experience using the solus pro, vantage pro, and modis. but my first time touching the solus ultra. I do not understand how to get the upgrades or if u have to get each one in a row or can u skip one or a couple ,then just get the newest one and be all up to date. Also my main question is how to get european software upgrade without paying the $1000 i seen it posted for. Im in school and i definitely cant pay that. I Really want to be able to use this scanner on BMW cars. can i just pay someone who already bought the software and they just download it onto my scanner. please help me answer these questions. I really appreciate it and thank you in advance
  • badcoupe
    • Jan 2011

No it can't be downloaded from one unit to another, when you buy the update you can get it. From then on out when you update it won't cost any extra because you already have euro. There are also a few bmw specific cables to purchase as well. Typically when you buy the euro package you all of the vw mb bmw rover etc specific cables.

Comment

• Nickb
      DSD
      • Aug 2007

If you dont need OBD1 adaptors, just purchase the Euro software from your Snapon guy. Will save you some money. The OBD2 cable will do all the domestic, asian and euro.
      DSD

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Don't try installing an update that was previously installed on another machine. If you do, you will end up having to send your unit in for repair.
        Regarding updates, it is OK if you skip some. When you purchase an update it will fill in all the previous info. No need to buy multiple updates if you skip.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• BMWrookie
          • Feb 2014

Thanks for all the great info. Becuase this is my first scanner. I was finding alot of this very confusing. I have the 13.2 softwere installed now. So I guess I'm give it to the snap on guy to get the upgrade and get the euro obd2 cables . Does anyone know if I have to pay for the upgrade all at once or is it possible to have it installed and make payments.

Comment

• chopperb
            • Aug 2013

I bought the 13.4 update and I pay $52 per week for x amount of weeks for it. There is also a subscription for it. You should talk to your snap on dealer. I also read somewhere if you update after 2/3/14 you will get 14.2 upgrade starting April 1 2014 free

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Hey BMWrookie , if you are attending an automotive trade school , I would seriously talk to your instructor to see if some or all of the automotive program students could get some sort of significant student discount buying Snap On tools through a school program of some sort , and I think that hopefully, that could apply to scanners and scanner software too.
              I have a DS 708 that has some pretty damn good European coverage that is included with Domestic Asian and even Chinese vehicles, Exotics and maybe even cartoon Carz you'll never ever see or even use for no extra charge , but unless you know what the hell to enter on the vehicle code selections that do not have auto VIN detect what the car code actually is , I often take semi educated **** Shot guesses on Vehicle entry if it looks like I'll have to refer to some sort of a Farfignuugen Finder Shart to give a Sh@t if I don't see something obvious on the door jam or under hood decal. Snap On Style Vin entry prompts and keys are actually missed when dealing with some of the older Euro Turds I deal with entering a older OBD2 BMW on a DS 708. The DS 708 does not include OBD1 coverage like Snap On , so if you do pay for Euro Software kit' see if it includes past OBD1 coverage, and all the Euro adapters and keys, otherwise be lot more $.
              Last edited by Witsend; 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• badcoupe
                • Jan 2011

Some of the ob2 cars still use a manufacturer specific connector for some systems Ie: abs airbag etc, that the scanner will ask for. So in some cases you will still need the specific connectors

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

The OBDII cable that comes with the Solus Ultra will work on all Euro cars with an OBDII connector. As stated, some OBDII cars require the use of additional connectors, s you may want to get them at some point, but you can probably get away without them for a while.

The Euro software is simply an activation. It just turns Euro coverage on in the scanner. When you update your regular software, it updates Euro at the same time. Nothing additional to buy once it is activated. Keep your Euro card around for if you ever have to get your software reloaded. you'll need to turn it on again.

If you are enrolled full time in school there are some great deals to be had on tools, but it is only on certain items. Lots of chrome. The only scanner you can buy is an Ethos though. This software is not available to students.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

How about a Bi Directional on Demand Ethos for students

Why not set up the students tuition to include a New Snap ON Ultra Ethos with a Snap On Credit Trak Card Slot that can allow it to becomes a fully Bi Directional Virtual Solus tool for what ever specific VIN # that is entered on a 3 year old or older vehicle. OE manufacturers and Snap On split 50- 50 , good to access and perform up to date Bidirectional stuff on specific VIN forever when they debit $25 from their Trak Scanner account they can put money on to . The VIN # can be accessed from anyone's Snap On Trac Scanner there after so the customer isn't ever hit again for an extra $25 on his or her bill for that specific car .
                    Whether or not any student has the credit $ or not to access the Bi directional controls and fast trak trouble shooter on a specific car VIN , The Trak card Ultra Ethos should be able to read all codes and all data on most car systems, Asian, Domestic , and European, with free updating for up to 5 years before having to pay for any sort of updating fee for codes and data. If the student has x amount of paid VIN #s paid for through his Fast Trak Scanner He gets the updating for free, or credit towards tools or a scanner upgrade. The Customer should pays the $ for access to unlock the OE Bi directional software and the troubleshooter software that is always genuine factory Sh@t, with the Snap On Side of the equation devoted to Trobleshooting by straightening out the Chinglish and decoding VAG mode 6 Nazi code and putting the diagnosis into Simple Layman's Terms and accessible for most car make VIN , 3 years old or older. (out of factory warranty):-))
                    Last edited by Witsend; 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Skip
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=Witsend;41581]Hey BMWrookie , if you are attending an automotive trade school , I would seriously talk to your instructor to see if some or all of the automotive program students could get some sort of significant student discount buying Snap On tools through a school program of some sort , and I think that hopefully, that could apply to scanners and scanner software too.

SO only gives a discount on the Ethos to students. I have raised this flag many times, to no avail.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

I think a multi System scanner for codes and data like Ethos is good

but Bi Directional controls are a must have , especially for students that probably getting hands on with Lap Top based factory scan tools with a Pico scope attachment, so ANY Scan Tool they use after using that is going to seem like a total POS until they find out just how expensive that factory equipment on loan to the school costs and they'll likely have to settle for something a little less costly for themselves to use.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
                          • Jul 2012

yes, sell yours and buy one already updated with euro from ebay, it comes out to be much cheaper doing that then buying directly from snap on

Comment

Working...