Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stettnerautomotive
    • Aug 2017

solus edge crankshaft relearn

I just bought a new solus edge to do a crankshaft relearn on my dads 96 Chevy c2500 pick up. when I go through the menu as directed it doesn't show this function. anyone out there know what I'm missing?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I just checked mine. You're right. It's not there.
    Pleas give me the 1st 10 digits of the VIN and I'll make sure it gets reported.
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• stettnerautomotive
      • Aug 2017

here is vin thanks

1gcfc24m9tz

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

I checked my solus ultra with 17.2 and it has the same issue.I also noticed that all the gas engines for '96 pickup are identified as CSFI(Central Sequential Fuel Injection).

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Thanks for the VIN. I just played with a 17.2 Verus and I see the Crank Relearn coverage pics up in 98. 96 and 97 are not there.
          So before I make myself look dumb, again, I need some help. Can anyone here prove the test is active on those years?
          I went looking for the relearn procedure for 96 and 97 model year pickups. I didn't find it in Shopkey for those years. I was pretty sure that Crank Relearns on GMs started in 1996 with OBD2, but maybe not.
          I checked for Trouble code P1336, Crankshaft Variation Not Learned. I don't see it listed for 96 and 97 model years. Only 98 and newer.
          I found a post on the IATN where someone tried performing a crank relearn on a 97 with the Tech 2 and the test isn't there.
          So with the test not being listed in the Service Info, P1336 not being listed and one report of the test not being in the Tech 2, I'm wondering if it can't be done on those years.

I just want to make sure it's a real bug before reporting it. Stettnerautomotive, why are you doing a crank relearn on that truck? Is there a service procedure for that year truck that you can post?

Joe
          Last edited by Joe Rappa; 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM.
          Henry Ford

Comment

• BRIAN617
            • Dec 2016

I found myself looking for the relearn on the same truck couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it. I think Joe is right, it is not needed on the 96-97. However you will need to sync cam/crank via the distributor.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I found myself looking for the relearn on the same truck couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it. I think Joe is right, it is not needed on the 96-97. However you will need to sync cam/crank via the distributor.
              O Yo Beez Yankin Muh Chain

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

There are a couple of TSB's for these vehicles.
                One deals with the Central Sequential fuel injector system with the electric injectors and the poppet nozzles on the V-8's.
                The other one identifies the V-6 distributor timing procedure and the DIFFERENT V-8 distributor timing procedure.
                TSB's are our friend.
                I didn't spend a lot of time in vain looking for a crank-relearn because the service information and the TSB's didn't indicate it was needed.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                  Thanks for the VIN. I just played with a 17.2 Verus and I see the Crank Relearn coverage pics up in 98. 96 and 97 are not there.
                  So before I make myself look dumb, again, I need some help. Can anyone here prove the test is active on those years?
                  I went looking for the relearn procedure for 96 and 97 model year pickups. I didn't find it in Shopkey for those years. I was pretty sure that Crank Relearns on GMs started in 1996 with OBD2, but maybe not.
                  I checked for Trouble code P1336, Crankshaft Variation Not Learned. I don't see it listed for 96 and 97 model years. Only 98 and newer.
                  I found a post on the IATN where someone tried performing a crank relearn on a 97 with the Tech 2 and the test isn't there.
                  So with the test not being listed in the Service Info, P1336 not being listed and one report of the test not being in the Tech 2, I'm wondering if it can't be done on those years.

I just want to make sure it's a real bug before reporting it. Stettnerautomotive, why are you doing a crank relearn on that truck? Is there a service procedure for that year truck that you can post?

Joe
                  I checked with my Tech 2,and you are right,crankshaft variation relearn isn't there until 1998 for trucks and only for the SFI engines of course.
                  Special functions has
                  F0: Engine output controls
                  F1: Transmission output controls
                  F2: Fuel system
                  F3: IAC system

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Glide
                    I checked with my Tech 2,and you are right,crankshaft variation relearn isn't there until 1998 for trucks and only for the SFI engines of course.
                    Special functions has
                    F0: Engine output controls
                    F1: Transmission output controls
                    F2: Fuel system
                    F3: IAC system

And there we have it. Thanks very much for doing that.
                    If it's not in the OEM scanner, it's not a missing function.
                    I even learned something.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

Working...