Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjwiseman07
    • Mar 2015

Solus Scanner Questions

I had a few questions in regards to the scanner I just acquired it is a Solus 7.2 software version that I was given. Everything works as I just tested it. I have listed out some questions below:

1.Does this software version require the can 1b adaptor?

2.I know Snap On has the most recent version of software out but really wanted to update to a little newer version to avoid the cost if possible. Is that possible or are you required to buy the latest and greatest? This is more for my personal use and just want to be able to cover my newest vehicle which is a 2012.

I know on the MT2500 you could buy PROM updates and I was wondering if that is similar on this scanner which I believe you replace the CF card just not sure. Any advice on the most econmical way to update my scanner would be great. Although pretty sure from research gonna have to pay for the full update which is fine.

I am also looking for accessories for this scanner as I currently have the MT 2500 scanner and I believe the keys and cables will still work. If anyone has any extras they are willing to sell I would be interested. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Matthew
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Hi Mathew, welcome to the forum. If you were just given an original Solus, I think you won't be able to get them updated for very much longer, so if you are thinking about updating 14.4 or 15.2 may be the last update for it.
    I had an Original Solus but it would struggle and freeze up graphing 4 pids, Snappy won't allow you to make a complete image of card to create a backup CF card on a fresh larger CF card (at least not without special cloning software), I could not say with certainty whether or not a 9year old board was going south, so I decided against updating it. Kept an old MT2500 with Euro ,all the keys and adapters for Obd1 cars and put the update money toward a newer scanner.
    I believe MT2500 Proms and cartridges are swappable between other MT2500s , but as soon as newer technology allowed the window to close on Private folk being able to buy and swap software cartridges and hardware between scanners it did. I'm sure it was only for discouraging theft and unauthorized reproduction of software
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-19-2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

1.Does this software version require the can 1b adaptor?

Not positive on this one at Version 7.2. I don't think so, but the scanner will always tell you if it is needed. If you update it, then I'm certain the answer is No. You won't need it.

2.I know Snap On has the most recent version of software out but really wanted to update to a little newer version to avoid the cost if possible. Is that possible or are you required to buy the latest and greatest? This is more for my personal use and just want to be able to cover my newest vehicle which is a 2012.

The only way you can purchase an older update is if someone happens to have an old CF Card Update laying around. It can't be a used one. It has to be a new one. That's unlikely to happen, so if you want to update it, you will have to go with the latest one. Also, the last update available for the Original Solus will be 15.2, so starting April 1st you will have 6 months to update it before software support ends for that scanner. Updating from 7.2 to 15.2 will get you TONS of additional coverage and backfill info. If you use it much at all it will be worth it. I know it's probably more than you paid for the scanner, but when it comes to scanners the software is more expensive than the hardware.

I am also looking for accessories for this scanner as I currently have the MT 2500 scanner and I believe the keys and cables will still work. If anyone has any extras they are willing to sell I would be interested. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Your MT2500 cables, connectors and keys will work just fine with your Solus
      Lastly, in order to update from 7.2 to present there is a firmware/bios update that has to be installed before loading the update. Call Tech support at 800-332-2526 to get the details about doing that.
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Lastly, in order to update from 7.2 to present there is a firmware/bios update that has to be installed before loading the update. Call Tech support at 800-332-2526 to get the details about doing that.
        Good to know , I had 6.4 on the one I bought but would have been extremely disappointed if I paid for the update and Euro Activation before firmware/ bios update and found out it no longer boot up and have to be sent out. I read about some older Modis requiring something like that too.
        Last edited by Witsend; 03-19-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

I don't remember that on a Modis, but I know it to be true on the original Solus. Solus Pro is OK to skip updates on without any issues too.

Joe
          Henry Ford

Comment

• David Green
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
            I don't remember that on a Modis, but I know it to be true on the original Solus. Solus Pro is OK to skip updates on without any issues too.

Joe
            I was just going to post and ask about the Solus Pro but you seam to have answered my question

Comment

• mjwiseman07
              • Mar 2015

I appreciate everyones feedback! So I called snap on and I am meeting with the guy to get it updated so I will see what happens. I was told running a deal right now buy one get one free. So if I buy 14.4 I get 15.2 free so going to take advantage of it. The price was awesome as well so just took advantage.

I do have a question though, the guy I spoke with said the price quoted which was alot better than I thought said that would include everything including a possible firmware update. Does that seem right he kept putting me on hold so I assume he was new and asking someone? Will my local snap on guy know I assume he would?

Thanks

Matthew

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Since this is supposed to be the final updates you will ever be able to get for the original Solus, maybe should inquire about European actiivation while you still able.

Comment

• mjwiseman07
                  • Mar 2015

Witsend I will defenitely ask.

I was told that I do not need the BIOS firmware update? I called tech support and they said the same thing? I agree it seems it would need that, I worry without it the performance issues mentioned above may become more of an issue after the update. Little confused about this cause I have also heard about the firmware update from others just confused why they are saying no?

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

You could go into Utilities or tools of your Solus and probably view more in depth technical information of tool that you can write down and run it past another support guy . Maybe a firmware update was once required before a higher update, and performed by a rep doing something with Scan Bay. Software now may alert you , and process may occur in an automated fashion with the new faster larger capacity CF software card you will get . If the tool has no issues now, I don't see any reason to worry if tech support says it is not needed.
                    I once tried to follow instructions to do an available HP firmware update on my old desktop PC to give the Combo Drive some sort of capability to light scribe CDs and DVDs I ended up bricking the combo drive. LOL.
                    If it will work fine with new software update without a firmware update , don't try to fix something that's not broke. Just remember if you do upgrade to 14.4 or 15.2 there might be additional personality keys added since 7.2, especially S cards and European Adapters will be needed (in some cases)if you activate the European coverage.
                    Last edited by Witsend; 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by mjwiseman07
                      Witsend I will defenitely ask.

I was told that I do not need the BIOS firmware update? I called tech support and they said the same thing? I agree it seems it would need that, I worry without it the performance issues mentioned above may become more of an issue after the update. Little confused about this cause I have also heard about the firmware update from others just confused why they are saying no?
                      If Tech Support says you don't need it, then that is most likely the correct answer. Maybe the firmware was for Solus with software previous to Version 7.2. This is good news for you. The firmware is not terribly hard to do, but it is extra steps. Glad you don't need to do it.
                      The last one I updated was version 5.2 or so, and it needed it. The other possibility is that they figured out a way to do it all off of one card. That would be convenient too, but I haven't heard that is the case.

Joe
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• mjwiseman07
                        • Mar 2015

I appreciate all of the help! Last question I know on the newer scanners no keys are required. Is that due to the software or is it do to the scanner just curious if the newer software eliminates the need for the keys or if it is the newer scanners? Thats all of my questions appreciate everyones help.

I talked to the guy he is going to update the european for me also.

Thanks again

Matthew

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

I appreciate all of the help! Last question I know on the newer scanners no keys are required. Is that due to the software or is it do to the scanner just curious if the newer software eliminates the need for the keys or if it is the newer scanners? Thats all of my questions appreciate everyones help.

I talked to the guy he is going to update the european for me also.

Thanks again

Matthew
                          I believe newer scanner's internal hardware inside is what takes the place of the keys, and some of the software does decide the circuit path switching inside that mimics the personality keys , other than keyless, bigger, fancier, faster, the diagnostic software is likely the same.

Comment

• mjwiseman07
                            • Mar 2015

I appreciate all of the help. Well after talking with the snap on guy about the error code I noticed late last night "An error occured 101 evex" he said this is a common problem with the motherboard so I am sending it back and getting my money back.

However just got a crazy deal on a Solus Pro with euro asia domestic with 14.4 case, rechargeable batteries, all adapters and keys for 600 just seemed awesome. Checked it out and it works great. Any thoughts on the Solus Pro in comparsion to the regular Solus? Is it alot better? Appreciate all of the help!

Thanks

Matthew

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

[QUOTE]However just got a crazy deal on a Solus Pro with euro asia domestic with 14.4 case, rechargeable batteries, all adapters and keys for 600 just seemed awesome. Checked it out and it works great. Any thoughts on the Solus Pro in comparsion to the regular Solus? Is it alot better? Appreciate all of the help!

Thanks

Careful, $600,sounds too good to be true with the 14.4 update that probably cost $900 unless it was your dealer that updated an old trade for no cost incurred to him, but no profit?To me it Sounds like a stolen unit, is the serial number readable. If not keep away.
                              (Fonzie , hit that Juke box)....Too bad this site doesn't have a stolen scanner search bar so you could type in any serial number and search it beforehand if it's black listed and report it to authorities asap and the rightful owner can get it back in a few months from PD instead of 3 years from you in possession of it when you go update it on the truck and the tool guy has cops take you and scanner in to custody. Thought you were getting a "Good Bang for The Buck," Now You might end up getting Banged by a Buck, Heh, Heh, Heh. At least you could get a dated Bill of sale from seller and get a print out off this site showing serial number is not listed as stolen yet at this time, well you can't cover your *** yet at this time, lol.
                              Last edited by Witsend; 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...