Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Sharing Information

I know you may not have much to do with ProDemand but it sure would be nice if there were an easy way to turn a page, or information for a code into a PDF. Now the component testing tab is up in Sure-Track but there are TSB's and other info that is not there that guys tend to ask for. The other would be colored wiring diagrams. Or make it so you can copy and paste from one to the other easily... To easily assemble a PDF in Microsfot Word or in Adobe Acrobat Pro is not easily done at the moment.

The other alternative is there is already an easy way and I just don't know it.
    MasterWrench
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Do you have Primo PDF installed on your computer ? About as easy as printing a diagram. I always wondered about sharing information in this way. Is it proper to copy information from ShopKey or from an OEM site and post it on Sure Track. Aren't there copyright violations. I suppose if SnapON owns both sites it's not a problem but what if you copy from AllData or the OEMs. Wouldn't it be in SnapOn's best interest if more people subscribed to ShopKey rather than giving away the info. I think that anyone serious about the automotive service industry would already have access to service information anyways. Is it in our best interest to use Sure Track to help DIYers ?

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Another program is BullZip PDF printer.

Comment

• MasterWrench
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by greasybob
        Do you have Primo PDF installed on your computer ? About as easy as printing a diagram. I always wondered about sharing information in this way. Is it proper to copy information from ShopKey or from an OEM site and post it on Sure Track. Aren't there copyright violations. I suppose if SnapON owns both sites it's not a problem but what if you copy from AllData or the OEMs. Wouldn't it be in SnapOn's best interest if more people subscribed to ShopKey rather than giving away the info. I think that anyone serious about the automotive service industry would already have access to service information anyways. Is it in our best interest to use Sure Track to help DIYers ?
        The only way someone gets on SureTrack that I am aware of is by purchasing a software bundle for a diagnostic tool so it should not be DIYers but some of the tech's seem to be very much "novices" when it comes to diag work. So in a way by buying the software update for the diag tool they have "paid" for the information to a degree. I think the idea is to get those that are not subscribed to ShopKey or ProDemand to do so. The copyright issues are for lawyers to figure out as far as I am concerned. I only post things I find on other sites by google search or from ProDemand so I am not worried personally.

I do not have either of the generic PDF tools either of you have suggested yet. The 2 I have mentioned are the ones I have and are widely used to make PDF's out of documents and web pages. Adobe is the "maker" of the PDF format and AcrobatPro is the software they have for making a PDF. Word has the capability of outputting any word document in PDF form. I will look those up and give them a go to see if they are any easier to use to make a PDF from ProDemand information.
        Last edited by MasterWrench; 07-30-2014, 03:52 AM. Reason: added to post
        MasterWrench

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I still think it would be a good idea to clear up what information can be copied and posted on Sure track.

Comment

• dlm1
            • Jul 2014

Best PDF tools I have found are:
            1-CutePdf Printer- I use an older version and print web pages etc, Its free. It allows you to print to PDF file, save and move to your data computer for storage
            2-Bluebean Software Inc to modify, crop, edit. Easy to use, demo available

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

I am not talking about printing a PDF. I am talking about making the web page with the information necessary into a PDF so it can be attached to a post in SureTrack.
              MasterWrench

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I think most PDF file converters work as printers, when you hit the print page on ShopKey select the PRIMO as the printer and the file is saved as a PDF which can then be down loaded to Sure Track. SnagIt is one program that I'm aware of that will save the selected screen as a Jpeg ( I think ) and then paste it. It might be faster but it's not free.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by greasybob
                  I think most PDF file converters work as printers, when you hit the print page on ShopKey select the PRIMO as the printer and the file is saved as a PDF which can then be down loaded to Sure Track. SnagIt is one program that I'm aware of that will save the selected screen as a Jpeg ( I think ) and then paste it. It might be faster but it's not free.

You can use "alt" + "prntscrn" keys and take a screenshot then paste it into Microsoft paint and save as a jpeg. That is how I do wiring diagrams in color to post in SureTrack for people.
                  MasterWrench

Comment

• dlm1
                    • Jul 2014

This?

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                      • Oct 2006

Want to convert a web page to a PDF
                      MasterWrench

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

How about this? I just clicked print, save as pdf, and here it is.

Sharing Information - Page 2 - Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums.pdf
                        S. Breland

Comment

• MasterWrench
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sbreland73
                          How about this? I just clicked print, save as pdf, and here it is.

[ATTACH]17372[/ATTACH]

Yes...that is the idea....now do that with a page in ProDemand. What program did you use to do this?
                          MasterWrench

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                            The only way someone gets on SureTrack that I am aware of is by purchasing a software bundle for a diagnostic tool so it should not be DIYers but some of the tech's seem to be very much "novices" when it comes to diag work. So in a way by buying the software update for the diag tool they have "paid" for the information to a degree. I think the idea is to get those that are not subscribed to ShopKey or ProDemand to do so. The copyright issues are for lawyers to figure out as far as I am concerned. I only post things I find on other sites by google search or from ProDemand so I am not worried personally.

I do not have either of the generic PDF tools either of you have suggested yet. The 2 I have mentioned are the ones I have and are widely used to make PDF's out of documents and web pages. Adobe is the "maker" of the PDF format and AcrobatPro is the software they have for making a PDF. Word has the capability of outputting any word document in PDF form. I will look those up and give them a go to see if they are any easier to use to make a PDF from ProDemand information.
                            MasterWrench is correct. Only people with ProDemand, ShopKey Pro or a current Snap-on scan tool bundle get access to SureTrack. It seems odd that some users don't seem to have any repair information system or maybe they just don't know how to find what they're looking for there. Some users may seem like DIYers at times. I'm sure you've seen these types actually working in shops.
                            SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

Nick, I'm still wondering what is the policy on posting information as pdf or copy and paste from On Demand or an OEM information system or even from another third party source (All Data, Identi Fix, etc. ).

Comment

Working...