Evap leak tester to check for trans oil leak?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Evap leak tester to check for trans oil leak?

I'm doing a clutch on a 130K 2001 Saturn SL1. I am changing the rear main seal and the right side output seal because they do appear wet. ,however I don't feel they account for all the oily grime on the right side of the bell housing (which may sit slightly lower than the left side) The Trans takes Dextron 3 ATF , and what came out drained like p@ss looking like Arco Graphite. May be the front input shaft bearing/seal assy or have invisble stress crack or case porosity. Front input shaft seal is incorporated into a front bearing/ throw out bearing support requiring the trans case split apart to change the input shaft bearing ,support assy, #9 in the illustration. I don't know if I'm over analyzing a normal GM 5 speed seepage and just paranoid it will mess up the new clutch , or just clean up the normal self flushing GM mess , add new ATF, that will be more viscous and not leak awhile and add a couple ounces of Lucas to play it safe . I do not feel like taking the trans apart just to change a front input seal unless I'm sure it leaks. Input shaft turns smoothly and don't feel slop or hear noise. I feel I'm already getting carried away changing clutch master, slave assembly that will require the ABS HCU removed for access and have to bleed Everything. Maybe Tranny Man has some advice? I popped the axles back in it , turned the trans to have input shaft facing up , put a longer hose on vent nipple, filled the space between the input shaft splines and the release bearing support full of WD40 and by mouth blew into the transmission vent and did not see a single bubble come up between the void or around the circumference, so just cleaned everything up to reinstall the trans.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Happy, Turned out having the transmission and cradle removed,made getting at the clutch hydraulic assy easier. I didn't have to remove the brake tubes off the HCU and completely remove the HCU out of the area . Just removed some of the line bracket nuts beneath the left side, unbolted the HCU and took the brake master off the brake booster and was able to move the assy up and inboard enough to get the clutch Hydraulic assy swapped out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...