X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZJeepX
    • Aug 2021

MT2500 not showing loop status or fuel trims

Hey all,

New here and new to the MT2500. Got a 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 AW4 4x4.
    Hooked the red brick up for the first time today and wanted to read live data to check out my new stroker build. Almost everything shows up and works properly.

But I do not get Loop status or fuel trims?? It’s not that they are showing up as zero values, they are literally not there??

Shows rpm o2 and inj on the top of the screen
    Then ign cycles 1-3 then goes straight to exhaust then map values?? I’ve scrolled through the whole list and no short term or long term fuel trims or loop status are shown.

I’m using the diagnostic cartridge up through 1997 so it shouldn’t be the cartridge right? Also scrolled through custom setups to see if there were any other settings I could adjust to see those values. Nothin there.

Can anyone explain this to me? I’m probably just a newbie and an idiot but I’ve searched all over for answers and I can’t find them. Seems the older renix Jeeps show this data no problem so I can’t see why my 92 wouldn’t show it as well?

Thanks for your time!
    Zach
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I agree that you'd think it would be there. I don't know why it wouldn't be, but it's easy to do another way. If your fuel trims are moving, it's in closed loop. Because STFT will always move, it's a solid indicator you can use in the place of Loop Status.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• ZJeepX
      • Aug 2021

Thanks for the reply Joe!

Only problem is, I don’t have stft or ltft showing either… I was looking at Exhaust - lean-center-rich to tell loop status. I believe it’s center when open loop? And switches from lean to rich back and forth in closed loop?

I do have fuel% showing which gives me a tiny idea of what the pcm is doing fuel wise but not enough. Basically says 4 to 6% which tells me the pcm is spacing out injector firing by + 4-6% basically causing a slightly lean condition?? Is that right? Would make sense as I have larger injectors installed for the stroker. Also based on what info I do have I believe everything looks pretty good and within spec. Just wish I could see short term fuel trim live. Probably should have invested in a wide band instead of the brick!

Do you know if I tried another cartridge, maybe one that goes up to 99 mt25001099, would that potentially solve my scanner problem? Or are some cars just lame and don’t give out all the data. My year was right at the beginning of OBD 1… I’d rather not waste 40-50 bucks on a cartridge that won’t do anything different.

Thank you,
      Zach

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I'm pretty sure a newer cartridge won't help. The computer system on that vehicle is pretty primitive. If it is reporting Fuel Trim as a singe fuel% PID, then I bet that's all you're going to get out of it.
        This guide may be helpful to tell you what every PID means: http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...l_Domestic.pdf

It won't tell you what specific data should appear on the vehicle though.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• ZJeepX
          • Aug 2021

Thanks again Joe!

Answers my question mostly. Frustrating that the older Renix era Jeeps actually give more live information!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ZJeepX
            Thanks again Joe!

Answers my question mostly. Frustrating that the older Renix era Jeeps actually give more live information!
            Yes they did, but didn't they also forget all trouble codes as soon as you turned the key off? Early diagnostics capabilities sure left a lot to be desired, but they were better than nothing. I do appreciate all the info computers provide today, especially misfire monitors!
            Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

Working...