Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Evap Service Bay Test (FTPS)

Hi Crusty. Thanks for taking the time to explain about the ftps spec's. Makes sense. The voltages that you describe are what I was able to get with playing around with the purge cycle The mmhg went to a -101.28 for awhile so I know its working. The Values are off. I will use the voltage reading and ignor the mmHg Readings. I am still wondering why the evap monitor system would not reset by itself by doing just the drive cycle. Had been driving this car which is my personal vehicle for over 3 months trying to get it to set. Oh well maybe its just me. Thanks again Austin

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Evap Service bay test ( ftps)

I finally found some spec's on the ftps.In (in H20 -17.5 to+7.5.) in( mmHg -32.69 to +014.01). Voltage 0 to 5 volts with no Specs just that range.These are right from Gm to this application. I do believe Crusty's remark's about the mmHg Values Shown by the Solus Pro on my 2007 grand prix 3.8 L32 as -119mmHg way out of the range that is allowed so The ranges that snap scanners give can not be trusted I hope something is done about this problem as well as the Evap in bay scanner test. Who wants to do 3 hrs resetting an evap monitor Has anyone else done an Evap service bay test say on a 05 or even an 06 let alone an 07. If so please forward info.Thanks

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hefaus
        I finally found some spec's on the ftps.In (in H20 -17.5 to+7.5.) in( mmHg -32.69 to +014.01). Voltage 0 to 5 volts with no Specs just that range.These are right from Gm to this application. I do believe Crusty's remark's about the mmHg Values Shown by the Solus Pro on my 2007 grand prix 3.8 L32 as -119mmHg way out of the range that is allowed so The ranges that snap scanners give can not be trusted I hope something is done about this problem as well as the Evap in bay scanner test. Who wants to do 3 hrs resetting an evap monitor Has anyone else done an Evap service bay test say on a 05 or even an 06 let alone an 07. If so please forward info.Thanks
        The FTPS specs you found are about right (sensible values)(not WHACKY values like -101, -118, -119 etc)

Just for Sh_ts and giggles... multiply 32.69 x 0.5353....
        What do you know-!! you get 17.498957.......

SURE SOUNDS LIKE THE 17.5 inH2O YOU FOUND.

If they can't write a program that converts SAE to metric, then just give us the damn display in the SAE value (inH20) which is what all the 2000 to 2004 GM service manuals tell us to check for in the various code charts for evap systems. If the manuals give us inH20 to check for, then show the display scale in inH20.... if the manuals give us kpa to check for then show the display scale in kpa.... if the manuals give us mmHG to check for then show the display in mmHG. When you change the selection from MPH to KPH it changes the speeds, when you change the degrees-F to degrees-C it changes the temperatures, when you change the pressures all the values in the pid display change
        EXCEPT THE BLOODY FUEL-TANK-PRESSURE-SENSOR-!!!

Guess they can't read the manuals....

Why can't SO FIX the damn thing.... I've been sending them proof of screwy EVAP values, graphs upside down, spikes in the FTPS graph when the voltage signal stays constant, the lack of inH20, etc etc etc, for almost 2 years now.

I guess it's been a good thing.... I've had to learn the evap systems to diagnose them WITHOUT the help of an ACCURATE scanner-
        Pretty sad when a $30.00 inH20 vacuum guage gives me more accurate data than a scan tool that cost THOUSANDS-!!! Very Sad, but true.

JFYI, there is about 13.6 inches of water column in ONE inch of mecury (which is the scale we read engine vacuum in)
        That's about as hard as ya drag on a cigarette.... Hey, I'm a mechanic... I run on Salt, white sugar, caffiene and nicotine.....
        AND... after 5:00.... ALCHOHOL--!! But that's to be expected when ya can't get a message through to the Ivory Tower at SO-!!

Comment

• hefaus
          • Dec 2007

Evap Service Bay Test (FTPS)

Hi Crusty. Thanks for your time here.It means alot to me and probably lots of other guys who dont know.Yes I also noticed when you changed settings from c to f or miles or h20 all changed except under evap ftps, stayed the same mmHg weird,as well as wrong. Seem's they have the voltage part right. Thats a good thing.Have a great day and enjoy. I still do mechanics have fo over45 years . It's really interesting from an old retired fart like me. Keeps the few brain cells I still have learning and alive.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Now that I have a few minutes to dedicate to this, I want to clear up a couple of questions with this test.

It works as designed. This is how the test runs on CAN equipped cars that have an EONV EVAP System. It runs the tests for Gross and Small Leaks (P0455 and P0442) while the engine is running, just like on non-CAN equipped cars. It also runs the tests for Fuel Tank Pressure and Fuel Level Sensors at this time.
            However, in order to run the P0456, Very Small Leak Code(.020"), the engine needs to be off. The older Class II communication vehicles skipped the P0456 test during a Service Bay Test. You could have a .030" leak on an oder car and the PCM would detect it if the test ran under normal conditions, but not during a Service Bay Test. Because of that, you could mature the Monitor with a leak big enough to set a code. That was fixed by the manufacturer for CAN cars.

The Sercice Bay Test for CAN cars is also a lot more sensitive than before. It aborts for a lot of reasons..

Engine too warm:

Engine speed out of bounds, Too much fuel. Not enough fuel.

Engine running portion of the Test.

First part of test is completed.

Time to drive the car. You need to pre-condition the tank.

Once the requirements are met, you don't have to shut the car off right away. You can take your time getting back to the shop.

When you shut the key off, the PCM stays awake. It's now running the EONV portion of the EVAP Test.

It says you have to wait as long as 60 minutes. It can take even longer under conditions that prevent the fuel tank from cooling off. Mine ran in abour 30 min.
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• hefaus
              • Dec 2007

Evap monitor reset

Hi Joe and thanks for that info.It does work. The first part of the test always did was just the drive part thats screwey.Just seems when you have to brake or stop in traffic it always lost communication. I dont know why.I finally completted the test where I could drive on open road without having to stop or apply brakes to much. Seems that the second part didn't like stopping and traffic conditions. Still Took a long time. Still Learning this and probably always will be as long as I am around. The readings on the evap test are still not working in inches which would be nice and if I am right the decimal point is in the wrong place in mmHg. Have a great day.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Thanks for clarifying that. I definitely did not do much stop/go stuff. Only for the first couple of miles and then open highway after that.

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• hefaus
                  • Dec 2007

ftps readings

I , decided to us escan and compare readings.The escan gives it as, Evap System Vapor Pressure -108.25 Pa converted is -0.435 inH20 and -0.8119mmHg Factory specs are In H20 -17.5 to +7.5 is within specs. Solus Pro is way off giving a reading of -118.65mmHg which converts to 63.57 in H20 For sure the math is off on the Solus Pro 9.4 readings. Should have used other scanner at first and would not have had this confusing readings.Gota love this stuff. Sure is fun
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Good info Joe.

I was able to run the SB-test on a 2005 GMC Jimmy last week.
                    It ran the same way your screens show, 1800-2200-rpm, then it requested a drive cycle. It lasted for 10 miles and started with about 800 seconds and counting down.

I just ran it on the hoist in 2-wheel (so what i can clear the 2 front abs sensor codes later).

When it completed (same as your screens show) I left the scanner on, walked away and let it run itself out. About 6-8 minutes later I heard a valve/solonoid cycle, then about 4-6 minutes later heard another valve/solonoid cycle and the test was done in less than 20 minutes.

When I immediately checked the status, the evap had NOT completed.

After I cycled the key back ON, checked a few things and looked at the monitors again and it had updated itself to evap-completed.
                    It probably needs to have a key cycle to update itself. Some of the other monitors still needed to be completed, but the evap and 2 or 3 others were now complete.

I need to look into another area of my database for the 2007 M/Y. The information I found indicates it needs the VSS to stay under 3-mph. Why would they ever put ALL the info in the same place?? LOL

I have seen some SB-tests not require a drive cycle. Apparently some do. If it IS doing an EONV test, they all seem to require a 10-mile drive, probably to agitate the fuel and warm the exhaust which can increase tank pressures, so it can monitor the pressures as the exhaust, tank, fuel, etc cool down.

The mmHG scale is still out of whack though.
                    Last edited by Crusty; 11-09-2009, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

I was hooked up to a Cobalt this week. It showed FT Pressure in "H2O.

Joe
                      Attached Files
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• hefaus
                        • Dec 2007

H20

Wow Joe, that looks way better than the screen that I had. Didn't show anything like the one you are showing. Only thing that is close is the voltage Mine was -118.46something mmHg.No showing of "H20 anywere. The ones that are showing on your screen even look reasonable to swallow. Maybe some show proper and the 2007 Pontiac grand prix gt just dont.Have no idea Maybe there is something that can be done about this issue. Would be nice.If You get a chance hook up to an 07 Grand Prix Gt and see what you get.It wont be a screen showing like yours and if it does there is something seriously wrong with the 9.4 version I am using in my Brand new Solus Pro.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

You won't have that data on an '07 GP. The 3.8L engines are not CAN that year, and I haven't seen "H2O on any non-CAN cars yet. In fact, I've only seen it on a few CAN cars as well, and not the V-8 that came in GPs either(which is CAN).

I'm glad to see "H2O show up in the data.

Joe
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• hefaus
                            • Dec 2007

H20

Hi Joe.Your Scan screen says its a 2005 chev Colbalt L4 2.2 is that car a can? .Somehow I Am not understanding .If That colbalt is can then ok if not is that just one that shows H20?

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

I'm glad to see "H2O show up in the data.

Joe
                              IMAGINE THAT-!!!
                              "H2O-!!!

It'd be nice if ALL the GM's showed "H2O, Not just SOME of 'em.

It'd also be nice if the mmHG wasn't screwy too-!!

All I've seen on about 20 vehicles is screwy mmHG since 9.4 came out-!!

Comment

Working...