Ethos Scanner

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

GM keeps shops busy, plenty of quality issues!

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
    Bob, the problem is you drive a Ford based product... If it was a chevy it would have worked.

Kid Snap, I knew if you foundout I had a Ford you would take some digs, that's cool. I actually like GM products. It helps keep the shop busy. Intake gaskets, ignition switches, Fuel pumps, injectors, FTP sensors+Vent valves, always big ticket items. I just hope the "new GM" is just as productive!

Second off to AU5599 The Diag Gun is not all they claim it to be as bob mentioned.
    If they can ever a scanner off the ground they could do really well with the coverage they have...

Also you should know the Chinese are riping them selfs off. They are already knocking off there own products. What ever tool you Decide to buy, Get it through a reputable dealer/distributor so that the software functions properly and you have an actual warranty. I learned the hard way when I tried to save a few $$$ on a used Gm tech 2.

As they say, "the rat will eat the rat", nowhere is that so true as it is in China. I wonder how Launch feels about that? Even junk gets copied!

And we give China all the business we can, but we can't seem to do anything cheap or reasonable here, so they have the edge.

All in fun, Bob

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

I see we got a wise guy here... LOL No worries, every car line has parts that fail. I have made my money off both brands.

Could always be worse, we could both Own dodges...

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

All in good fun!

Kid Snap,

You got that right!

Comment

• au5599
          • Apr 2011

Snapon Tech sent an email saying it was wrong info on there and they changed it.
          That sucks cause I was about to grab one.
          What I have found out on the Launch products, there is no copies. These are all orginal units from Launch. But they are sold in China and stuff. But they figured out how to make more money. Set up only 1 US/Canada dist. center and sell they that way. Only at 3-4 times as much. But to keep people from buying through China warehouses, if your in the US only way to get support/updates is buying from US rep. You have to go to the x431 site and register. But I seen one first hand the other day, they have alot of coverage but it isnt very user friendly. The 2000 Nissan Maxima idle control valve relearn took 5-10 minutes to get done, OTC Genisys up to 08 software couldnt. Comparing the 2 it was lacking alot of the options.
          I broke down and got one to try out. If I dont like it I will just resell it. Honestly, I have always liked Snapon but have hated when you get to a point you have to basicly buy a new one for the next update. Why not make it expandable? Be able to replace memory, add sd cards for storeage, etc.

You know what this site could use. A for sale section for scanners.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Fords good for buisness too!!!

Hey Bob, Just thought that it was funny that we were discusing ford vs. chevy.

On the way to lunch I saw a Broken down Ford explorer. So on the way back from lunch I snaped a picture of the broken down Ford Just for You. How could i resist??? They used a brown paper bag to write a note on it and parked it just pass the No parking sign blocking the bike lane... Classic!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• au5599
              • Apr 2011

New question whats the difference between Solus and Solus Pro scanners. Also can the Solus software be updated to 10.4 or 11.2?

Comment

• Refacciones
                • Jan 2012

should i buy Ethos 10.2 for 1000 dlls??

Hello,

I need help from the experts, i dont have proper knowledge on how to buy a scanner but i must buy one for my dad and he lives in Mexico i live in Canada, he had his shop broken into and needs to get a good scanner asap, he requested the Ethos and he wants it to be able to read up to 2010 vehicles . I found an used one in craigslist version 10.2 and they are asking 1300 dlls for it.
                Im not able to see many Ethos with 10.2 version so i can at least compare prices. I wonder if you guys would have idea if this is the right price, if the version 10.2 will be costly to update??

Hope you can help me to make the right decision, im a girl that knows nothing about diagnostic tools but what i've been learning lately from snap on site and your comments, i just want to help my father since he has been robbed buying this tool for him to work and get his money back eventually.

thanks!
                Last edited by Refacciones; 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

Solus vs. Pro

Originally posted by au5599
                  New question whats the difference between Solus and Solus Pro scanners. Also can the Solus software be updated to 10.4 or 11.2?
                  Well, The Solus is a good graphing scanner and has all the function that the Solus Pro has. The Solus Pro has more onboard memory and a better,faster processor. Also, the multi directional contol button on Solus Pro has better control than the Solus.

The Solus Is still supported and will be able to be updated to 12.2 and probably beyond. Snap-on sells software so they will more than likely support the software for a few more years.

Good Luck, Bob

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Refacciones
                    Hello,

I need help from the experts, i dont have proper knowledge on how to buy a scanner but i must buy one for my dad and he lives in Mexico i live in Canada, he had his shop broken into and needs to get a good scanner asap, he requested the Ethos and he wants it to be able to read up to 2010 vehicles . I found an used one in craigslist version 10.2 and they are asking 1300 dlls for it.
                    Im not able to see many Ethos with 10.2 version so i can at least compare prices. I wonder if you guys would have idea if this is the right price, if the version 10.2 will be costly to update??

Hope you can help me to make the right decision, im a girl that knows nothing about diagnostic tools but what i've been learning lately from snap on site and your comments, i just want to help my father since he has been robbed buying this tool for him to work and get his money back eventually.

thanks!
                    Hi Refacciones,

I'll try to answer your questions. First of all, try to get an Ethos with the latest possible version, 11.4 if possible, (12.2 is almost ready for release) as he will need it in years to come. 10.2 will not cover 2010 vehicles, they were just too new when 10.2 came out.

Also, I could not open your Craigs list link, but I found this on E-bay, an Ethos, full kit with 11.2 in mint condition:

I know of a few people who have picked up Ethos for a good price. The problem is that the Versions with 9.2 and possibly 9.4 had an issue with the main board, causing issue with newer softyware, the cure is to have the main board replaced and update to the latest software level, about $1100 or so. So, beware of older units.

Also, remember Ethos cannot do Euro cars, bi-directional controls, and it does not have Troubleshooter like the other S.O. scanners have.

At any rate, I understand why your dad likes Ethos, it is fast and nimble, simple and reliable. Also, I know you can set the language to Spanish on Ethos also.

The things to remember when looking for an Ethos is Version (10.2, 10.4 etc... because updating it is another $439.00, so keep that in mind when comparing.

A NEW Ethos is only $1899.00. A skilled negotiator can get one from an agressive Snap-on dealer for much less. So, keep that in mind. If you see a Snap-on truck, near a shop in your area, don't be afraid to ask. Do you know someone who works in a shop that is frequented by a SO dealer? Or maybe the shop you take you car to? They can introduce to to an SO dealer. Tell him your plight, you are helping your father in Mexico. If he doesn't want to deal, find one in another area. It might also be best to ask the SO dealer if he will give you a free update to 12.2 or just wait until 12.2 comes out, to save the $439 since you father will likely not update and his tool will be more current.

Anyhow here is full retail price, no deal :

Ethos.jpg

If you have more questions, you can post them here or send me a private message thru this site.

Good Luck, Bob
                    Last edited by Bob's Garage; 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...