Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

GM Fuel Composition Reset

The car is a 2013 Impala 3.6, VIN 2G1WC5E34D1201081. It's my sons car. A few days ago he reported that his check engine light was on so I thought I would check it before he takes it in for warranty. He was driving with under an 1/8th of a tank when the check engine light came on. P2269, water in fuel is the code so I cleared it . Today after it the gas tank was refilled and driven a couple hundred miles the light came back on with the same code, so I thought I'd check it a little closer. I noticed the fuel composition is stuck at 100% and the sensor out put is at 190Hz. So I tried a fuel composition reset. No go, I kept getting a warning message that said "Invalid Device Control Selected " I tried again after clearing the code, same result, no go on the reset. I noticed that before entering the reset screen a notice to " Use only when directed by the service in formation " Under what circumstances should a Composition Reset be used? I've used this function in the past on other GM vehicles that don't have the sensor but use an algorithm based on fuel level changes to adjust composition settings. I've used this to cure fuel trim problems caused by adding too little fuel to trip a reset or relearn. I'm wondering why the reset did not work on the 2013 Impala. While I think the problem with 2013 Impala is a contaminated sensor and is under warranty, I like to get a heads up on this stuff before they start showing up in the service bay. Another thing I noticed is that actual fuel rail pressure is in MPa and desired fuel rail pressure is in PSI. Using software version 13.4, Verus 1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greasybob; 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM.
  • badcoupe
    • Jan 2011

check for an update on sps, gm has had quite a few updates on their fuel comp systems

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I checked the 2013 Impala again last night and miraculously the fuel composition sensor (flex fuel sensor) seems to be working now and the P2269 code was only stored in history. I cleared the code and tried the reset function again but I got the same results as before. Doing a little research I found some information on ShopKey as to when it is appropriate to perform a reset. It's in the pdf I attached. I also checked the output of the sensor with the scope. I also noticed that using the SPS calibration lookup through the J2534 tool box does not seem to work. It will kick you out and give a warning that this user name or password is already in use ?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by greasybob; 11-24-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Some info I found on the data pids involved
        Attached Files

Comment

• badcoupe
          • Jan 2011

I typically just try to reflash without looking it up it will warn you that you are attempting to reuse the same calibration if there is no update.

Comment

• longhungsilver
            • Oct 2013

sometimes i have problems on the SPS with user and password thing. usually closing all web browsers (and sometimes restarting computer) fixes it

Comment

• badcoupe
              • Jan 2011

when I go from tech2win to sps I sometimes have to restart. I use the gm globalconnect site instead of acdelco tds though. I get my tech2win and gds2 free that way!

Comment

• longhungsilver
                • Oct 2013

Free?

Comment

• badcoupe
                  • Jan 2011

Yup I have a friend at a local dealer, I have his gmglobalconnect login and password

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Well Bob, your sons Impala is not the only one to do this. I rented a 2013 Impala this week and the MIL illuminated. I found the Fuel Composition Sensor pegged at 190 Hz. It fixed itself in a few hundred miles. It looks like we'll get good at replacing these once they get out of warranty.
                    Attached Files
                    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

My guess GM is just going to tell it's customers that the problem is caused by not running a Top Tier Detergent gasoline in their tanks and try to sell a pricey GM fuel supplement they'll try to hit everyone for every time you have your oil changed .

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

I finally got around to checking the 2013 Impala again while the code was present (P0179). I back probed the flex fuel sensor and viewed the scope and the scanner pid at the same time to verify that it is the sensor that is at fault. Both the scanner and the scope show 170Hz, 100% alcohol content when the actual alcohol content is no higher than 10%. I also was able to hook up the Tech2Win and determine that the composition reset function is not present in the OEM scanner so it probably should not have been put in the SnapOn software as the vehicle does not support it. For some reason the second screen shot of functional tests with Tech2Win didn't show correctly but I can assure you that there wasn't a fuel composition reset.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• longhungsilver
                          • Oct 2013

very interesting and something snap on should fix and take out on the next update I hope. good stuff

Comment

Working...