Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Solus pro 9.4 Evap service bay test

I have a 2007 Pontiac grand Prix Gt 3.8 l32.Have no problems except under monitors says evap not complete. There are no codes or faults anywhere to be found I ran the service bay test. First part went well and then it said for Second part to drive giving me a milage and a time . I dont know how I am suppost to drive it as I cant find out on a 2007.I started driving and all was going well again until about a mile and then said lost communication. I still have the evap monitor as not complete have tried with 3/4 full tank and as well as 1/2 tank always cold start. Anyone know what's going on or could explain what i am doing wrong. I also looked under ask a tech but nothing available for this issue that I found. Thanks in advance
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hefaus
    I have a 2007 Pontiac grand Prix Gt 3.8 l32.Have no problems except under monitors says evap not complete. There are no codes or faults anywhere to be found I ran the service bay test. First part went well and then it said for Second part to drive giving me a milage and a time . I dont know how I am suppost to drive it as I cant find out on a 2007.I started driving and all was going well again until about a mile and then said lost communication. I still have the evap monitor as not complete have tried with 3/4 full tank and as well as 1/2 tank always cold start. Anyone know what's going on or could explain what i am doing wrong. I also looked under ask a tech but nothing available for this issue that I found. Thanks in advance

Check and see if the vehicle does the P0442, small leak using EONV, after shutdown.

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Evap service bay test

Hi. Another part of this test that I do not understand. Isn't a evap service bay test just that, done in the service bay? That's what the wording Implies

Comment

• hefaus
        • Dec 2007

Evap Service Bay Test

Originally posted by Crusty
        Check and see if the vehicle does the P0442, small leak using EONV, after shutdown.
        Hi Crusty. This vehicle has no dtc at all. Doesn't service bay test mean exactly that? Why when it says test completed sucessufully does it say to drive after that? That makes it more than a service bay test.It gives a time and milage to drive milage was 10 miles, time I forget but after doing about a mile it just says" Lost Communication".Wonder what would happen if I answer no to the drive part Guess I will try and see I also tried this test using 9.2 same thing. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Skip
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2008

Service Bay is just a name. It is a test designed for the tech, from his bay, to run the monitor rather than wait for the car to do it. Often, it will not set the monitor as passed because the car did not run the test, you did.

Comment

• hefaus
            • Dec 2007

Evap Bay test

Originally posted by Skip
            Service Bay is just a name. It is a test designed for the tech, from his bay, to run the monitor rather than wait for the car to do it. Often, it will not set the monitor as passed because the car did not run the test, you did.
            Hi Skip. I know its a test done by the scanner rather than by the vehicle.What good is the test if it runs the monitor and says all passed test . Then it asks you to drive and then looses communication.maybe this test doesnt work properly. I was just wanting the evap monitor to say passed rather than not complete.I even did the road test according to the gm manual and still not complete and no codes of any kind.How do you get the monitor to passed? I have had this monitor sitting on not complete for some time like 3 months since I first checked the monitor status.I would think that it should have given a fail code by now or something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• hefaus
              • Dec 2007

Evap Service Bay Test

Originally posted by Skip
              Hi I am still not able to get this test to complete. I even tried a 2006 Pontiac Grand prix with a 3.8 same thing loss of communications on the second part. Has anyone ever run a Evap service bay test on a late model Pontiac Grand Prix? If so please explain the drive part that the scanner asks for and what that "drive" is. seems this is a 2 part test.I have tried the drive cycle and still loose communication with about a mile into that part.Wondering what is going on. Please advise I have snapon checking this out as well but no answers yet.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Hi I am still not able to get this test to complete. I even tried a 2006 Pontiac Grand prix with a 3.8 same thing loss of communications on the second part. Has anyone ever run a Evap service bay test on a late model Pontiac Grand Prix? If so please explain the drive part that the scanner asks for and what that "drive" is. seems this is a 2 part test.I have tried the drive cycle and still loose communication with about a mile into that part.Wondering what is going on. Please advise I have snapon checking this out as well but no answers yet.
                I looked in AD and the description for the service bay test (for a 2007 Pont-3.8) indicates that the vehicle speed must stay below 3mph....(along with other requirements)
                I have run the service bay test on several vehicles and it has worked OK (just not a 2007 Pont yet).
                The description in AD also indicates it can take up to 6 cold start cycles for the evap to self-test and come to a conclusion.
                What information database has told you to drive the vehicle while performing the SB-test?? Perhaps some information is misleading us ???

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Hi Crusty. This vehicle has no dtc at all. Doesn't service bay test mean exactly that? Why when it says test completed sucessufully does it say to drive after that? That makes it more than a service bay test.It gives a time and milage to drive milage was 10 miles, time I forget but after doing about a mile it just says" Lost Communication".Wonder what would happen if I answer no to the drive part Guess I will try and see I also tried this test using 9.2 same thing. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

This 2007 doesn't use the EONV after shutdown testing...(I know 2009 do). I just suggested to look at any of the evap code charts because they can sometimes give us a better understanding of how the systems are supposed to function.

As far as I am aware, the service bay test doesn't require a drive. The 10 mile drive, I believe is part of the self-test if you don't have the scanner hooked up.

If it is trying to do the service bay test, and it actually DOESN'T want the vehicle speed above 3mph, it might be normal for it to back out and shut off communication.

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                    As far as I am aware, the service bay test doesn't require a drive. The 10 mile drive, I believe is part of the self-test if you don't have the scanner hooked up.

If it is trying to do the service bay test, and it actually DOESN'T want the vehicle speed above 3mph, it might be normal for it to back out and shut off communication.
                    Jay
                    Since picking up my used Tech2 I have run the service bay tests several times on different year make model GM's. And NO (yes I know I'm a dope) I didn't log the vehicles. Sometimes the tool tells you to road test and counts down the time and mileage, other times it completes without the road test. EVERY time I had to road test the monitor did not set, when I didn't have to road test the monitor would complete!? Not that there was a problem with the ones that didn't as they completed on there own with no further problems. Maybe a GM guru can chime in and let us know why the tests run differently or if it's tech error (not like that would ever happen ).

Steve

Comment

• hefaus
                      • Dec 2007

Evap service bay test

Hi. The snap on service bay test using the solus pro 9.4 tell's me to drive it after it has done the service bay test where vehicle is not moving. I drive it with scanner still hooked up, and after about a mile the scanner says lost communication.Thats all I know about it I have been in contact with snap on and no answers yet.I may go borrow a Tech 11 and do a service bay test and see if that does it better. Seems it has to be cold to start the test on either machines. Just dont know what to look for with no codes One thing I found and that a maybe is the ftps is at -119mmHg voltage 1.1. I cant find out what the specs are supposd to be either. Using Snap on Solus Pro 9.4, ($09) In use Tracking performance under evap give this Evap Monitor Complete 4 ,Evap Monitors Conditions 24. I have no idea where to find what the 4 are or what the 24 conditions are or even mean. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
                      Last edited by hefaus; 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• hefaus
                        • Dec 2007

Evap service bay test

Well I finally got the evap monitor service bay test to work and it completed the monitor test with a completed, using The Solus Pro 9.4 Total Time 3 Hours
                        I reset all the monitors something that I won't do again.It lost communication also when asked to preform the driving part.This test is in 3 parts On in the bay as long as you have a place to drive without backing up or applying the brakes. I drove it to a place where I could drive without stopping for at least 10 miles. I had to wait till the temp dropped below 70 c.Did the test again then drove for 10 miles then the big one. says pull over stop vehicle. then turn off engine and do not turn on key for up to 60 minutes Was way up a back road by this time lol. Waited and finally scanner said all passed monitor set Yaaaaa. I still do not know why the evap monitor would not set on its own seems everything was alright somewhere.Happy Days at least I have a way of dong it now. a little more info for me. Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                          Jay
                          Since picking up my used Tech2 I have run the service bay tests several times on different year make model GM's. And NO (yes I know I'm a dope) I didn't log the vehicles. Sometimes the tool tells you to road test and counts down the time and mileage, other times it completes without the road test. EVERY time I had to road test the monitor did not set, when I didn't have to road test the monitor would complete!? Not that there was a problem with the ones that didn't as they completed on there own with no further problems. Maybe a GM guru can chime in and let us know why the tests run differently or if it's tech error (not like that would ever happen ).

Steve
                          Hi Steve
                          My Tech-II is up to 2009 M/Y and I have the 32 meg-card and the Candi-module. I have yet to see ANY that require the road test. That doesn't mean it's not required though.

The whole concept of a "service bay test" is to allow a tech to confirm a repair without having to go through all the rigamarole of a 10 mile drive at certain speeds, speeding up, maintaining speed for specific times, decelerating WITHOUT BRAKING (of all things.... silly) and then accelerating again, etc etc etc.

As far as I was aware the driving portions were for the evap monitor (and the other monitors) to self test when there is no scan tool hooked up as ANY sort of information or diagnostic request from a scan tool CAN affect the functions.

I'll play with both tools on a couple of vehicles I have for a few days next week.

Comment

• hefaus
                            • Dec 2007

Evap Service bay test

Hi Crusty.I was thinking that is about the way it should be able to be done, in the service bay but not with this car hooked up.I didnt have to really do any different driving functions. Just keep at about 90 km per hour tops and maybe 50 to 60 as required. I did step on the brake near the end. Have no idea why it works that way just doing the evap test only. If you or anyone else do get a chance to do some please post results and could you also include ftps voltage readings as well as mmHg? I still dont know if these are right or wrong. They must be ok as it passed. Thanks Austin

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Hi Crusty.I was thinking that is about the way it should be able to be done, in the service bay but not with this car hooked up.I didnt have to really do any different driving functions. Just keep at about 90 km per hour tops and maybe 50 to 60 as required. I did step on the brake near the end. Have no idea why it works that way just doing the evap test only. If you or anyone else do get a chance to do some please post results and could you also include ftps voltage readings as well as mmHg? I still dont know if these are right or wrong. They must be ok as it passed. Thanks Austin
                              Hi hefaus/Austin
                              The GM systems run from 0-volts up to about 4.0-volts (they're 5-volt sensors). Usually at rest and startup, they're about 1.0 to 1.5 volts.
                              As you startup and run, if the vacuum system self tests, the voltage will rise and the FTPS VACUUM should go DOWN... (they've got the mmHG screwed up in the current software release)

As far as the mmHG goes, I've had a long running discussion with SO regarding the tools' incapability of reading inH2O-!!!
                              The systems only have a maximum capability of around 12 or 14 inches of water column. (there are 13.6 or 13.8 inches of water column in ONE inch of mercury which is the scale you see on your engine vacuum of about 18/20inHG)

The MAXIMUM mmHG I have seen before the system self releases when you force the purge ON and the vent solonoid CLOSED is 24mmHG.

To read it in inH20 you then multiply the mmHG by 0.5353 and you'll be REALLY close.... more than close enough for the automotive systems.

Recently I've seen a completely SILLY mmHG reading of -118.00 mmHG which would put the inH20 near SIXTY-TWO-!! inches of water column which is about 4 times what the systems are capable of and thus my discussion with SO regarding the SCALES that are displayed and the ACCURACY of the scales.

Look for 1 to 4 volts, on startup near 1.00 volts and at full vacuum applied look for 2.75, 3.00, 3.50 volts. There is only one sensor and it produces voltage. The mmHG readings currently displayed are unreliable and I hope SO fixes it SOON-!!!!

When you put a manual command from the scanner to close the vent and open the purge, it'll pull the voltage up, reach about 4.00 volts and then, because the PCM sees too much vacuum, it'll automatically release and you'll see the voltage drop right down when it does.

If it can reach 4.00 volts, you probably don't have a 0.020" or larger leak.

I know that near 2008 but definately with 2009 they ALSO use a EONV self test after shutdown, but the start/run cycle before it does has specific requirements to be met. The EONV stands for Engine-Off-Natural-Vacuum. Read up on it in GM and Ford and Dodge manuals or IATN. It's interesting.

Comment

Working...