X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Crusty
    Hay Maven....
    If your "competition" isn't wasting their time, YOU get to fix the vehicle sooner anyway-!! LOL
    Oh of course....if Wit was in my competitive area Id be asking him if he could write me up a tutorial or post videos of him using that Counselor.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Counselor 2

I couldn't find much useful documentation and information out there about how to use a Counselor 2 with the optional low amp probe I paid $50 for and was determined to make it work somehow , or how to component test a wheel speed sensor with a Counselor 2 .So yes I wasted time , for a few hours having a few cold ones figuring a work around and share it on here . Those 2 things I tried with Lab scope selection either gave me an error or lab scope didn't want to work .
      Well If the low amp clamp doesn't work when selecting lab scope , then just select vacuum wave form off menu and use the low amp probe in place of the vacuum probe and you can see a decent fuel pump trace off a fuse buddy loop just fine and yes you can do it within minutes just like a Vantage Pro because I spent an hour of my time so folk can still skin the same cat in a few minutes using a vintage 25 year old scope because I posted what actually worked.
      I admit I spent time trying to get Lab scope selection to work to perform component test on a wheel speed sensor , but now others with a Counselor 2 that read the thread know what to do , if You have to component test a wheel speed sensor like a Vantage Pro, slowly turning the hub to see an actual trace ,selecting alternator waveform will work to test the ones that generate a sine wave. A few of the old Thexton coil adapters in the Counselor 2 drawer have a couple leads with micro insulated alligator clips that fit right into the hub speed sensor connector and the larger alligator clips of the Counselor clip to the larger coil adapter terminals. Surprised such a low voltage AC wheel sensor signal works so well off Alternator waveform selection.
      Got a EEIG100a COP adapter set for $150 locally that works well on some but not all applications for viewing secondary successfully with it . I've tried it on. On a Chrysler or Jeep 4.7, flipped flags and the sticks ,played with gain knob and no no dice. Also on a Ford COP 4.6 it displayed something like a triple firing with error messages .Maybe because some newer cars triple the fire plugs for combustion at idle and lower engine speeds. The Counselor 2 struggles to present a decent trace when it expects an 8 cylinder engine to fire only 8 times every couple revolutions
      I read in some old threads that at least the sticks and flags of the COP kit will work on a Verus and other newer Snap On scopes , but the adapter part with the gain knob is not required. Anyone using parts of this kit successfully with a Verus, Modis or Vantage Pro?
      Last edited by Witsend; 06-21-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• hefaus
        • Dec 2007

Wasted time

Well I am with Wit. At least he doesnt give up and Knowledge is few and far between these days. If you want to know You have to play so Your Customers know who they are dealing with. Waste Time. I think not and on top this person even makes the time to share.Gota love that. Keep Smiling. From an old retired guy who still plays.The latest is the MaxiSys.Just loving it as well.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Counselor 2 is still capable

Hey There's no doubt there's newer faster tools to get the job diagnosed and done faster in a production shop where so many techs are just throwing parts at vehicles based on, codes. Like myself , maybe after looking at scanner graphs, Pids, checking TSB's, or quick IATN searches for pattern part failures, but sooner or later someone's got to dust off the old Counselor 2 in sitting in corner of shop , or buy something newer and hope to see some sort of a return on it soon before The Next Blue moon and pulls up my old thread with the pics of my beer cans on my Counselor 2 , he's gonna calm down and take his time read my tips on how I got thing to work , and have the component tested before having his next Blue moon. LOL

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Hey Witsend,...
            As long as you learned something it was all an exercise worthwhile.

Analogue meters, digital meters, pressure and vacuum gauges, and yes scopes too, all show us, the humans, what is happening and when it is happening.
            Just two of the proverbial Who What When Where Why.

Tossing parts is no different than going to Vegas and Shooting Craps. Figuring out the ROOT CAUSE and being specific in our repairs is better for everyone, except the parts manufacturers....LOL

Your curiosity will stand you in good stead AFAIC

As for the signal you were able to catch in your printout, I personally would want to confirm that failure indication more than once. A repeatable confirmation of that failure means it wasn't just chance.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Just happy I figured out how to view a wheel sensor trace if I can't read one on scanner. I never really actually saw any particular drop out and the printout really wasn't conclusive, the printer paper feed momentarily stuck and I just placed a couple dots at the top of the broken sine wave to make a face for a little humor. Why it did not print the last 2 or three humps of the trace , I haven't a clue. The harness and connectors looked fine to me so I just tossed a cheap $70 hub at it .
              The Lab scope choice on menu has not worked for me on the two things i tried with it so far , but the work around to be able to see a pattern with the optional low amp probe was selecting vacuum waveform that worked to see a decent fuel pump pattern and selecting alternator waveform worked to see a decent speed sensor pattern.
              For all I know the code for the right rear wheel speed sensor could have been generated weeks ago , but the idiot light on that the customer wanted fixed was the service engine soon light for the evap code

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Well you got the EVAP code figured out-!! Good news-!!

As for the cheap-Azz $70.00 hub, up here in Canuck land they're $140.00 and decent ones are in the 250 to 500 banana range depending on vehicle. People don't like doing them twice...LOL

Try going back to the basic scope settings and play with the TPS sensor and get a signal of some kind. Then it's just a matter of playing with the time base and the amplitude of your scope settings. The fact that the alternator ripple setting is an AC setting and the wheel speed sensor is also an AC signal may help you figure that out

Comment

Working...