Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Flow Testing The Canister

Have you ever used your smoke machine to check the back pressure of a charcoal canister ? The vehicle was a 2006 F250 5.4 and the complaint was hard to fuel, the nozzle kept shutting off. I didn't see any obstructions and the vent valve was operative. Before I installed the new canister I thought I would try the back pressure/ flow function of my smoker on the old canister versus the new one. It would be hard to establish a pass/fail test but there was a noticeable difference. The difference may not be that much but the smoker doesn't exactly emit a real high volume of smoke at a high pressure so it the measurement might be substantial. The fueling problem seems to solved.
    Attached Files
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

As always you come up with some great posts Bob! Now I'm going to have to try that on all my evap issues just to try it for myself!

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

I do this as the first step to every EVAP Test. The smoke machine puts out around 14 liters/minute of nitrogen. That translates to just about 4 gallons per minute. Typical Gas Pumps do around 6 gallons/minute. So, if a vehicle were to take gas slowly, the smoke machine will normally not reach full flow before you close the vent valve. This is why it is important to remove the schrader valve in the test post. If you don't do this, a flow check won't work.
      Nice catch there!
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Thanks for the additional info. I did the tests with the canister removed from the vehicle. Think that the fuel level would effect the tests on some vehicles if testing from the fill tube.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Thanks for those specs Joe!!!

Comment

Working...