Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Dave
    • Nov 2010

2005 ranger tran input/output pids

HEY I have a 05 ford ranger with a 4.0 auto trans 4wd I have a p0741 and 2 reman trans later I'm trying to check the input and output shaft speeds but the pids are "RPM" and "TSS RPM" which pids can I look at to see the difference in speed or did snappy forget to include this ?
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I have an 03 Ranger outside. Tomorrow I'll see if there is an useful information from there that I can give you. For now though can you activate the TCC solenoid with your scanner ? Can you here it clicking ? Any other codes ? Are there any observable driving symptoms ?

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Here is some data I got from the 03 Ranger 4.0 5R55E tranny. Torque Converter slip can be seen as TCCMACT in the data list. I was running this on a hoist so there was no slip. It also shows TCC apply percentage as well as engine speed (input), turbine speed and output shaft speed. Here is an article that explains things a little better, https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...-transmissions Hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dr Dave
        • Nov 2010

Ranger 05

It appears snapon left all those pix off the 2005 i only see rpm and tcc% unless I can find it in troubleshooter. I was told rpm was engine rpm and not input ?thanks for your time. If you have any other input defafenty welcome. After 4\5 minutes of driving IS light flashes shifts become harsh no lockup occurs . Before that it will do lockup momentary. Have put 2 rema n trans. Have labelled tcc c and amp s is working also changed pcm.Flow test cooler as far as checking the amount in certain seconds i forget now but is in my notes. I second guessing that only because it has a exturnal cooler also and I will make sure it was tested in correct area

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

You could always try to fool your scanner and manually enter the vehicle as an 03 and see if the data lists are different. If I recall correctly, engine and transmission were listed together on the main menu as "drivetrain" and then the transmission data was in the sub menu along with 4 or 5 other data lists. Not how most vehicle menus are set up, there is no separate transmission listing in the main menu.

Comment

• Dr Dave
            • Nov 2010

What software

Are you using a a Zeus ? What what software release are u running

Comment

• Dr Dave
              • Nov 2010

Good ideal

I just saw your comment on trying to fool it . I will try that tomorrow thsnks

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I'm using a Verus Edge with 20.4. Not sure if an 05 and 03 are the same. I don't remember there being a lot of changes.

Comment

• Dr Dave
                  • Nov 2010

SPOT ON

Ok I'm using Zeus 20.4 and yes I fooled it like you said .I now have the same pids you have . I did a capture last night , it was too late to look at it but I just put it on a flash drive and are looking at it on my pc. I'm going to look at that artical again you sent as for I'm not sure which to look at . I know the differnce of input and out put but TCCMACT ? should that be 0 ish slip in lockup and I think there is engine speed and input rpm too . ? Thanks this should be a game changer

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

This is from the Sonnax article

On a road test, TCC slip is available with a scanner, seen as TCCMACT RPM. This is calculated or actual engine RPM to turbine RPM difference. When you see a TCC percentage of 70% or higher and high slip of TCCMACT RPM 140 or more, your apply circuit has insufficient clamping force. But is it due to converter, seal or insufficient apply pressure?

I would say that slippage in the 20 to 40 RPM range should be considered normal depending on engine load. When I entered the 03 as an 05 I got different set of PIDs also.

Comment

• Dr Dave
                      • Nov 2010

Perfect

ok my new road test shows the TCC on and at first and at times went down to double digets but also saw it lose it while still at 88% according to the TCCMACT rpm so that looks like whats happening . I thought it could be cooler flow ( I did check that 1 qt in 15 sec ,as long as I checked in the correct line/area ) I think a cooler may have more symtoms though. I also noticed on my short trip fluid temp was 75-90 F I thought that was too cold to go into lockup ? But if thats all good I has to be in the trans I think ? We checked all the wiring and ran scope voltage and current ramp . we saw the solenoid ramp and move with the expected amount of amps . can you think of anything elese before I change the trans again.?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• BRIAN617
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Dr Dave
                        ok my new road test shows the TCC on and at first and at times went down to double digets but also saw it lose it while still at 88% according to the TCCMACT rpm so that looks like whats happening . I thought it could be cooler flow ( I did check that 1 qt in 15 sec ,as long as I checked in the correct line/area ) I think a cooler may have more symtoms though. I also noticed on my short trip fluid temp was 75-90 F I thought that was too cold to go into lockup ? But if thats all good I has to be in the trans I think ? We checked all the wiring and ran scope voltage and current ramp . we saw the solenoid ramp and move with the expected amount of amps . can you think of anything elese before I change the trans again.?
                        Sonnax and ATRA both have valve body leak test diagrams you can find with a little Googling. Valve body leaks are very common for all the 4r/5r55 variants.

Comment

• weberauto
                          • Feb 2010

05 Ranger

Dr Dave did you find a solution to the Ranger?

Comment

• felmar
                            • Sep 2017

the Outshiftspd{rpm} and the turbspds {rpm} the difference between those give you the how much the transmission slipping, sometimes you can find that pid, maybe that what you asking

Comment

Working...