Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • primetime
    • Feb 2024

which MT2500 cart for 2005 4L80E swap?

I have a 2005 4L80E thatís been swapped into a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Stock ECM and itís OBD2. ECM has been flashed with a 4L80E segment swap. Everything works as it should. I want to ensure that I have the capability of reading this transmission with an MT2500 in the future if the need arises. Things like checking amperage on solenoids and commanding lockup through the scanner. What cartridges and parts do I need to have the ability to do this?

- the cable that connects to the ALDL connector on the vehicle
    - adapter that goes between the scanner cable and the ALDL connector
    - a primary software cartridge new enough for the vehicle, but which one? - - "Troubleshooter" cartridge to go along with the Primary cartridge. Again, needs to be compatible with the vehicle Iím using it on so which one?
    -9 volt battery
    -battery charger
    -OBD2 connector.
    -personality key (which one?)

I also have a 91 4L80E unit as a backup. If I ever decide to install that unit into this vehicle in the event that the 05 unit goes bad, what all do I need to perform the functions mentioned above?
  • Snap-on_ULTRA
    • Jul 2012

You would need the black programmable cartridges that are programmed up to the bundle 6.4 at least.
    But then if 4L80E uses the same type of Computer in 2001 and 2005 then red domestic cartridge that goes up to 2001 should be able to do it.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

On the question on the keys, it'll either be K9(if I'm remembering correctly) or no key depending on what update you get.

I'm wondering what will happen with that segment swap. If you ID the vehicle to get the engine it'll show one with a 4L60, and not that 4L80. With a segment swapped PCM you may need HP Tuners or something similar to scan it.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
        You would need the black programmable cartridges that are programmed up to the bundle 6.4 at least.
        But then if 4L80E uses the same type of Computer in 2001 and 2005 then red domestic cartridge that goes up to 2001 should be able to do it.
        It does use the same computer. All that's required is to swap a few wires at the transmission connector and add the second speed sensor and wires to the PCM side. You can use the 4L60 Logic to control it but you have to ad a relay to reverse the control signal for the shift control. Otherwise we just find a similar file and swap the Transmission portion of the segment file in the PCM. The problem is that not all tables are defined in the aftermarket tuning software. This is why the Lock up doesn't always function as expected.

Comment

Working...